We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessibility in Broadstairs and general information

Kent
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
Accessibility in Broadstairs and general information

I am planning to take a group of seniors to Broadstairs for a day trip. As we have never been, it would be most helpful to know the following-

Is the main beach accessible via a lift or similar? Are the eateries and toilets at beach level?

Is the area hilly?

Some of the group may want to use the beach and some may want to venture into town-is this easy on foot?

Is it advisable to book in advance for lunch bearing in mind we may be a group of 16?

Thanks in advance for any information and/or advice.

3 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,477 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Accessibility in Broadstairs and general information

Access to the main beach at Viking Bay is flat. If you are going in a coach, the parking area is off the High Street about 5 or 6 minutes walk from the beach. I can't remember (aeons since I went there) if they are allowed any closer to drop passengers before going off to park.

Are the eateries and toilets at beach level? Some yes.

Here's a picture - https:/…2011076.jpg

Is the area hilly?

Some of it, see below

Some of the group may want to use the beach and some may want to venture into town-is this easy on foot?

The High Street runs between the railway station and the beach. The whole length is about 450 yards so the town centre is in effect that close or closer. There is a bit of a hill heading away from the beach area but not too steep.

Is it advisable to book in advance for lunch bearing in mind we may be a group of 16?

I should think so. It can be pretty busy down there on a nice day. Sorry cannot suggest anywhere.

Edited: 26 June 2018, 05:25
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,319 posts
196 reviews
2. Re: Accessibility in Broadstairs and general information

Access to Viking Bay is not flat. There is a narrow road (Harbour Street) down to the beach which is on a short slope; not too steep but I would advise using Google Maps Streetview to guage if this is manageable for your seniors. Once on the beach, there is a duckboard path giving access to wheelchairs and pushchairs. The prom itself is high above the beach, there is a lift which is *usually* in operation during the main season.

There are toilets at beach level on Harbour Street opposite the Tartar Frigate. Not many eateries at beach level, there is the Tartar Frigate and Wyatt & Jones plus and a fish & chip shop all at the beach end of Harbour Street, another fish bar on the pier, plus some beach kiosks. The Pavilion is a large pub whose beer garden opens on to the beach, but has a few steps up to the eating area - there is also level access from a bit higher up along Harbour Street. More choice of eateries on Albion Street.which is the main street of restaurants and bars.

The small town centre itself is very compact and walkable, it's mainly flat but the high street heading away from the beach is on an incline and steep in parts.

I would always advise booking anywhere in advance for a group of that size.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,477 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Accessibility in Broadstairs and general information

Sorry obviously my 'flat' is not other people's.

Reply to: Accessibility in Broadstairs and general information
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Broadstairs