We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yanuka or ocean for family?

Yokohama, Japan
5 posts
yanuka or ocean for family?

I have another question for those familiar with the resort.

My family (2 kids 7&10) will be at Shangri-la mid August for a week. We have the "Tropical Escapes" deal which is in an Oceon Grand Deluxe room, and they state with an upgrade if available.

Looking at the map provided by a kind poster in another of my questions, I'm wondering if these rooms are what would work best for us. As the kids will be either at kids club or in the pool or inflatables area in the sea 99% of the time, I'm thinking it would be best to be nearer that "main" part of the resort. Although from other reviews I see it is clearly a quieter area, we gave up on silence years ago with convenience trumping! Are they far?? We would, of course, like the best (biggest) room we can get, ideally refurbished. and in terms of practicality, with the 2 divans, sleeping seems more practical in the OGD room. (The best case scenario would be bagging an upgrade to a suite, but this may be wishful thinking, as going by the hotels prices for certain rooms, the upgrade would be to an Ocean Terrace??)

Would be really happy to hear advice from others who have been through the process with similar situations.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,638 posts
428 reviews
245 helpful votes
1. Re: yanuka or ocean for family?

Many people with young families take the rooms in the Lagoon view wing especially the ones on the ground floor where the kids can just walk out onto the landscape lawns through the sliding door to the pool and beach.

Not sure if it is possible to swap to one of those that may suit your family better.

Mount Maunganui...
Level Contributor
139 posts
253 reviews
191 helpful votes
2. Re: yanuka or ocean for family?

We stay at Shangri La often as it’s our favourite resort on the Coral Coast - we are going back again in June. We travel as a couple and could stay in the adults wing but prefer to stay on the lagoon side as there is so much to see and do and you can join in if you wish. There’s plenty of organised pool activities for parents and children, always good fun plus the water park and good swimming beach is on this side. The activities team have ball games like soccer on the big grass areas. The ocean side is nice but it is definitely quieter and further to walk back to the lagoon pool. We stay in the lagoon Yanuca rooms which have a balcony. The lagoon terrace rooms on the ground floor may be more suitable for you, I’m not sure what the size of them are but a quick phone call to Shangri La will let you know. My advice would be : if you want a quieter location go for the ocean wing side. If you want to see more and do more go for the lagoon side if you can get a decent size room for the family. I have a better map which I will try and post otherwise google earth the resort and you will see the layout.

Yokohama, Japan
5 posts
3. Re: yanuka or ocean for family?

fortunatefew: thanks for the advice and offer of map. I think we will request a lagoon room if we can get a large one with 2 kids beds. We'd prefer to be nearer pools and bars I think.

Mount Maunganui...
Level Contributor
139 posts
253 reviews
191 helpful votes
4. Re: yanuka or ocean for family?

There are 5 blocks in the Lagoon wing. I think blocks 1-3 are the best. Unfortunately I can’t post the map as it’s a screenshot and not a web page..

Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
5. Re: yanuka or ocean for family?

I had a mail from shangri-la with a resort map. I uploaded it to my Google drive and I *think* this link should work for all:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mUj0Yx8-uRke6X0Z2q56OsT_FeZrJWJN/view?usp=drivesdk

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,638 posts
428 reviews
245 helpful votes
6. Re: yanuka or ocean for family?

Yes it works (it takes a little while to load) and we stayed in the lagoon wing (2) second block. 200 series I think

Edited: 2 years ago
Reply to: yanuka or ocean for family?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yanuca Island
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.