We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked Hilton on Denara- but regret now, help

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
Booked Hilton on Denara- but regret now, help
Save

Hi All-

I am traveling to Fiji End June/July for 6 days from Australia, after research on a late sleepy night, I booked a non-refundable room @ Hilton on Denarau Island

Here were the reasons behind my decision:

- I am travelling with my LO, so needed something closer to Nadi airport without too much stress of island transfer on a short trip- Denarau Island seems like a decent location

- Denarau is close to port for island tours

- Reasonably centre point for all activities on main island

- Hilton has large rooms compared to 20-30m2 standard rooms on most other properties (beachfront property is 65m2 in Hilton)

- Bit cheaper than Sofitel and others around

- "Beach front" 1BR suite with kitchenette + laundry looks good to stay comfy

Here are the reasons I am regretting now :(

- The "beach" in Denarau Island looks awful tbh, even Brighton beach in MEL is far far better, this isn't really a "beach", it is reclaimed swamp land I realised now- somehow I completely overlooked this aspect unfortunately (note to self-never make such decisions at 2:30am)

- Hilton property looks very dated on second look, don't know if they have much activities for kids at all?

I am just wondering if I can mend my situation in anyway to get more of that "Fiji'ain pristine beaches" experience during my holiday

Looking for any recommendations, thank you!

I am considering some day trips to Yasawa island, maybe even stay overnight if I can find a good deal on accommodation

Any tips and tricks at Hilton? is there anything worthy at the resort itself apart from just sitting by the pool and doing buffets? We are more of an outdoor activities loving family, so looking for any suggestions thank you!

9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
440 reviews
245 helpful votes
1. Re: Booked Hilton on Denara- but regret now, help
Save

Bula ranjan and welcome to the forum.

I assume you have booked all six nights at the hotel.If so you could do a day trip to one of the island.There is a big Bula waterside park at Denarau too.

Have a look at the post on the forum called First time visitors to Fiji Tips and information.

Sorry I am not on my computer tonight to include the link

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Booked Hilton on Denara- but regret now, help
Save

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately yes- I wanted to keep my trip simple with the LO, without having to unpack/pack to different destinations

Hence booked all 6 nights at the hilton(non refundable 🥲)

I am traveling end of June/Early July

I am planning to do the Yasawa island day trip, any other recommendations highly appreciated!

I want to avoid waterparks as i can visit similar parks even locally

Appreciate any day trips to rainforest/fiji islands

Hoping to get recommendations what are some good islands for pristine beaches/easy and safe snorkeling 🤿 locations for kids

Edited: 22 January 2024, 22:28
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
440 reviews
245 helpful votes
3. Re: Booked Hilton on Denara- but regret now, help
Save

South Sea's cruises day trip to South Sea island resort is good for the kids.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Booked Hilton on Denara- but regret now, help
Save

Thank u, will add it to my list to visit!

Is it worth staying overnight at Yasawa island? The barefoot manta resort looks decently priced

And they allow smaller kids(which is an issue with many island resorts)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
440 reviews
245 helpful votes
5. Re: Booked Hilton on Denara- but regret now, help
Save

Travelling by the Yasawa flyer can be expensive and I am not sure you would be able to stay just one night and if you could you would go up in the morning and return back to port Denarau at 6;00pm the following day.

I don't think it is really worth it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
49 reviews
33 helpful votes
6. Re: Booked Hilton on Denara- but regret now, help
Save

Hi Ranjan

I’m sorry to say, but I don’t think it's worth it to stay one night in the Yasawas.

You would depart Denerau at 8:45am, (so leaving the Hilton around 7:30am at the very very latest) arriving at Barefoot at 11:35am. Check in is immediate, but realistically it’s well after midday.

You then have an afternoon swim, dinner, then bed. But don’t get too comfy, because it’s check out before 9am. You then won’t have access to your room after that, while you sit by the pool/beach for the rest of the day, until you board the Flyer at 2:40pm before arriving back at Denerau at 5:45pm.

You could snorkel off the beach, but you most likely wouldn’t be able to do a tour with the resort.

The Flyer is FJD378 for each adult return and kids FJD190.

The Mamanucas is just as picturesque and it’s a reasonable day trip. You could even do multiple trips.

With 6 days at the Hilton, I’d also make sure i’m a member of their rewards program.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
9,710 posts
9 reviews
43 helpful votes
7. Re: Booked Hilton on Denara- but regret now, help
Save

It will make for a long day from Denarau ranjan, but you could do the EcoTrax Tour. It looks like a lot of fun for the whole family, and has excellent reviews. Due to its popularity, it is booked solid months in advance. If interested in doing the tour, I would book now to avoid disappointment. Prices, what you will experience, and other information below.

https://www.ecotrax.com.fj/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294336-d13002341-Reviews-Ecotrax_Fiji-Sigatoka_Coral_Coast_Viti_Levu.html

I understand your disappointment with the beach at Denarau. Even though the beach doesn't compare with the outer islands, it is still suitable for kayaking, jetsking, etc.

For a beach option on the main island, contact the The Intercontinental Golf & Spa Resort. The resort allows day trippers, depending on capacity, and is located on Natadola Beach, known to be the best beach on the main island. Bookings must be made in advance. You can snorkel off the beach though it can be challenging at times, use the pool, restaurants, and partake in some tours. I'm not sure you would be interested, but thought I would mention it as another beach option for you. Prices, inclusions, and other information below.

https://www.fiji.intercontinental.com/special-offers/natadola-daycation-getaway

Hope this helps.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
7,780 posts
93 reviews
121 helpful votes
8. Re: Booked Hilton on Denara- but regret now, help
Save

Day trip to the Mamanuca Islands and problem solved.

Sure next time you may want to stay on an outer island, but spending some time on Viti Levu is worthwhile as well.

As far as getting to the Yasawas this trip that may not happen, but you’re not going to notice where one island group ends and the next begins.

As I’m sure you know now flexible bookings are your friend. 😜

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
148 reviews
331 helpful votes
9. Re: Booked Hilton on Denara- but regret now, help
Save

Have a look at Paradise Cove Island Resort. Not too far off the coast. They do their own transfers good choice of accommodation.

Reply to: Booked Hilton on Denara- but regret now, help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Denarau Island
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.