We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lofoten: Round trip from Evenes or 1-way from Leknes to EVE

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
Lofoten: Round trip from Evenes or 1-way from Leknes to EVE

So we're planning on spending 6 nights and 5 full days on Lofoten in early October and I've procrastinated way too long and now need to book flights to the islands and places to stay.

We're flying from Bergen on 10/4 and then returning to Oslo or Copenhagen on 10/10. Originally I was thinking we'd fly from Bergen to Leknes, then do a one-way car rental to Evenes even though it'll add $200 or so to the car rental, because I figured it'd be a better use of time, but after reading the forums it seems like a lot of people suggest flying into and out of Evenes and renting and returning the car there. The flights to Leknes from Bergen are also about $125 more expensive than flights to EVE. So I think it'd basically cost us $450 more to do the one-way. We're OK with that if it's a much better use of our limited time on the islands, but if EVE isn't a bad airport to do a round trip tour of the islands from then it never hurts to save the money. Just wondering what people would suggest if saving money isn't the #1 factor and maximizing our enjoyment of the islands is.

Thanks for any suggestions (and for all the great help all of you TA folks have provided to help bring this trip to fruition so far)!

20 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,357 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Lofoten: Round trip from Evenes or 1-way from Leknes to EVE

Evenes to Lofoten is a nice drive, but quite long. Depends on the timing of your return flight. Very early flight would not be convenient. Hopefully flights later in the day are still reasonably priced.

Note that Bergen-Evenes flights are via Oslo.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Lofoten: Round trip from Evenes or 1-way from Leknes to EVE

Flying to Lofoten is expensive! The locals are also complaining about this... For us is cheaper to fly to Europe than Tromsø - Lofoten...

So, I recommend you to fly to Evenes and rent a car there, then you’ll save money on flight tickets and by returning the car to the same locations.

Edited: 30 August 2018, 21:16
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Lofoten: Round trip from Evenes or 1-way from Leknes to EVE

Thanks everyone! So if we did fly into EVE, how would you recommend we break up the 6 nights? I had originally done most of my planning as if we'd be going from LKN to EVE. Would we still have enough time to check out Vesteralen and Lofoten?

My original plan was to fly into LKN, stay two nights down near Reine, 2 somewhere between Leknes and Svolvaer, and then maybe a night or two near Vesteralen and then fly out of EVE.

How should I rearrange if I'm flying in and out of EVE?

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
1 review
4. Re: Lofoten: Round trip from Evenes or 1-way from Leknes to EVE

The best choice depends on what time your flights arrive and depart Evenes.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Lofoten: Round trip from Evenes or 1-way from Leknes to EVE

Please check the links in the map for accommodations on 3 great locations, https://goo.gl/maps/a1iaaWpvdwP2

If you arrive Evenes early, drive all the way south to Reine, but if you land late take the first two nights in Henningsvær or Nyksund...

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Lofoten: Round trip from Evenes or 1-way from Leknes to EVE

We'd probably be looking at leaving Bergen at 6:40AM arriving into EVE at 10:35 am to get a head start on the day. Plus that's the cheapest flight up to Lofoten. Our other options are about 1000 NOK more expensive each. .

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,357 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Lofoten: Round trip from Evenes or 1-way from Leknes to EVE

The airlines are having a "sale" right now, just wait a couple of days and the prices might actually drop.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Lofoten: Round trip from Evenes or 1-way from Leknes to EVE

Really? I thought I waited too long cause the BGO->LKN flight went from 1000 NOK to 2250 NOK since I had checked last week and I thought I blew it. I'll keep an eye on it but thought maybe it was like the train tickets where as the date gets closer they get more expensive and i messed up waiting so long.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,357 posts
41 reviews
9. Re: Lofoten: Round trip from Evenes or 1-way from Leknes to EVE

Yes, really, but only for the Evenes tickets. For Lofoten it is a hit and miss. But still worth waiting till the sale is over. The leftover is often dropped in price. My experience lately, I often fly to Evenes.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Lofoten: Round trip from Evenes or 1-way from Leknes to EVE

Ok, I'll keep an eye on tickets.

As far as flying into and out of EVE. I google mapped it and it's saying 4.5 hours from EVE to Reine. I'm assuming that's probably not realistic, or is it?

Reply to: Lofoten: Round trip from Evenes or 1-way from Leknes to EVE
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lofoten Islands