We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging in Yosemite

Level Contributor
16 posts
Lodging in Yosemite

Hello everyone, we are coming from the UK and staying in Yosemite from 27th July 2019 for 4 nights. I was wondering whether to stay all 4 nights in one place or to do two separate places. We are coming in from Lee Vining and then going West to Kings Canyon after. We are a family of 4 including 11 year old twins. Ideally we would be near water (pool or river etc) for the kids to play in but it's not a deal breaker. NPS is showing availability at Big Trees lodge and Half Dome Village, I need to find a map with these places on but I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations of places to stay? Thank you in advance.

10 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
13,615 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Lodging in Yosemite

Google maps will show you both places. So will any of the park maps available online.

Big Trees Lodge is not in the Valley, it's at Wawona. Half Dome Village is in the Valley,

Here's the park's map page:

https:/…maps.htm

I would go with Half Dome Village. There are hard-sided and soft-sided cabins there (I don't know what's available). I do not know what the situation is with bathrooms in the hard-sided cabins, but someone will know. Thing is, staying in the Valley is much preferable to staying anywhere else.

You could stay 3 nights Valley and 1 night Wawona/Big Trees, and be nearer the southern (West) exit to the park for your 4-5 hour drive to Kings Canyon. (If you're staying in Grant Grove, it will be a shorter drive, some accommodations in Kings Canyon are in the actual canyon, though).

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,699 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Lodging in Yosemite

There is lodging available at Yosemite Valley Lodge for some dates in July.

Yes it is more expensive but it would be like staying in a normal motel with your own bathroom and a swimming pool right there.

Bathrooms at the tent cabins are shared centrally located ones.

Edited: 02 September 2018, 02:24
Level Contributor
16 posts
3. Re: Lodging in Yosemite

Thank you for your replies! There is no availability at the Valley Lodge for our dates. All I can find available are the canvas tents at half dome but I'm worried they will be cold at night time especially as we won't have sleeping bags. Do you think this will be a problem? I really don't want to have to stay outside the park and travel in every day but accommodation seems so limited.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,699 posts
71 reviews
4. Re: Lodging in Yosemite

Why don't you book something now and then keep looking for better opportunities closer to your dates OR change around your schedule to be able to book at the Valley Lodge.

We often suggest that people work their whole itinerary around when they can get lodging at Yosemite!

Level Contributor
16 posts
5. Re: Lodging in Yosemite

Good advice. I've booked the canvas tents at Half Dome and will keep checking to see if anything else becomes available. I haven't even booked flights yet!!

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Lodging in Yosemite

Kate,

Are your dates firmly set? You mention you hadn't booked flights yet. We're going in Oct this year - we planned our entire itinerary around when we could get 3 nights at Yosemite Valley Lodge - then planned the rest of the trip around those dates. Just a suggestion if you have any flexibility in your dates for Yosemite.

Level Contributor
16 posts
7. Re: Lodging in Yosemite

The Valley Lodge seems to be booked out for most of July/August during the time we could possibly be there. I’ve booled the canvas tents which we’re absolutely fine with and I’ll just keep checking for cancellations for eaither a cabin or the lodge.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,848 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Lodging in Yosemite

In mid/late July the valley will cool down at night but won't be too cold. There are blankets provided and if needed you may request house-keeping/front-desk for additional blankets. I have experienced it even overnight it stayed at around 90'F - rare but happened. If you bring bring a thick sweat shirt to sleep in, along with the blankets, I would not expect any issue. Unless you have very little tolerance to cold.

There are hundreds of canvas tents at Half Dome Village. Thus they are relatively easier to book. Other hard-wall cabins and lodges have very limited numbers of units. Hard to fish for cancellations.

Level Contributor
16 posts
9. Re: Lodging in Yosemite

Great advice thank you, will make sure we pack sweat shirts. Just seen a cabin is available for two of the nights now so will change my booking and keep checking to see if the other night frees up too.

So Cal
Level Contributor
11,790 posts
75 reviews
10. Re: Lodging in Yosemite

I've stayed in Housekeeping in summer, and the nights were fine (a bit toasty, actually). I imagine the tent cabins are similar.

Half Dome/Curry has motel units, cabins with bathrooms, and cabins without. Not very many of any of them.

Edited: 02 September 2018, 21:01
Reply to: Lodging in Yosemite
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park