We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day LongWeekend - Yellowstone

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Memorial Day LongWeekend - Yellowstone

Hi all,

This is my 1st trip to yellowstone and have a few questions i would love having some answers to from previous visitors.

1) Is May end a good time time to Visit Yellowstone? I know there can be snow but will most roads in park be open?

2) I will have 3 full days at the park. is that sufficient to see alt east majority of the sites. We do plant o do small hikes ..nothing major.

3) If May is not a good time, is July a better time? Is July generally more crowded?

Thanks for your help.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,956 posts
508 reviews
1. Re: Memorial Day LongWeekend - Yellowstone

1) end of May a good time to visit YNP?- if you love wildlife babies then yes- never know about the weather- been twice at that time- one year had warm and sunny weather and the other year it was cold and snowy- could be road closures or some roads not open but park rangers will tell you that when you enter the park.

2) 3 full days enough?- yes you can see the major sites like OF, Artist Point, Lake Yellowstone, Hayden Valley, Lamar Valley and Mammoth areas- but you can come multiple times and never fully see the park- it is the size of the states of Delaware and Rhode Island.

3) is July better? July will generally be warmer but mid June thru mid August are the busiest times in YNP- think you might have a more difficult time finding lodging in the park and in the towns adjacent to the park.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
2. Re: Memorial Day LongWeekend - Yellowstone

Thanks for the advice.

We are planning to fly into SLC on May 23rd morning (around 11 am)..drive to West YNP ..hopefully reach by late evening. We have Friday,Sat and Sunday as park days. Would love if you could help with best itinerary for those 3 days. Driving back on Monday morning to SLC for evening flight.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25,034 posts
112 reviews
3. Re: Memorial Day LongWeekend - Yellowstone

Are you planning to spend all 4 nights in West Yellowstone?

If you look a the map of Yellowstone, you will see it is a big figure 8. The end of May, the upper right section of the *8*, from Tower Fall to Canyon over Dunraven Pass will likely still be closed. The website says *early June* for it to be open.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

Here is a listing of what services are open (lodging and restaurants) for that time period.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/ocd_locale.htm

Pam

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
4. Re: Memorial Day LongWeekend - Yellowstone

HI Pam,

Current Plan is to drive to Grand Teton on Thursday ( Start from SLC at 11:30 am and hopefully reach by 5/6 PM). Hopefully get to see couple of sites that night. Stay at Grand Teton area.

Fri to Sun : Will stay at West Yellowstone.

Monday : Drive back to SLC .

Thanks for the links. I agree Tower Fall will be closed but i guess can do everything in this trip.

5. Re: Memorial Day LongWeekend - Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...