We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honolulu or Maui

WA
Level Contributor
649 posts
Save Topic
Honolulu or Maui

I’m trying to book a trip for my husband and myself. It’s our 30th wedding anniversary and my 50th. We have been to Maui twice. Last Christmas was the last time. We love it there. But I’m wondering about Honolulu this time. What can we expect. Where should we stay? Should we stick with Maui

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
5 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,263 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honolulu or Maui

Honolulu is a city on the island of Oahu. What is it you would like to do or see? I love both places but if you haven't been to Oahu I would recommend going there!!

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Seattle
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honolulu or Maui

The appropriate comparison is Maui versus Oahu.

Oahu has a great deal to offer other than just Honolulu.

" What can we expect?" - You can expect a very different experience. If you are truly open to that, then you will have a great time. But if you expect Oahu to be exactly like Maui, then you may be disappointed.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,230 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honolulu or Maui

The point is well-made above. You'd be choosing between Maui and Oahu. I recommend that you hop over to your local bookstore (or use Amazon) and pick up a travel guide or two. And you need good, real maps.

The Islands are very different in topography, development, history ... lotsa things. Population!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Seattle
Level Contributor
49,687 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honolulu or Maui

I'm crazy about Honolulu/Waikiki. I love it because there's so much to see and do in the central area, and that I can get around using public transportation (not going to happen on Maui).

I think in the most general terms you could say you can expect a more "urban" experience. Would you be interested in things like seeing Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, Doris Duke ShangriLa Estate, Honolulu Museum of Art, that kind of thing? Hiking DiamondHead. Snorkeling Hanuama Bay?

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Iolani Palace
Iolani Palace
4,920 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Bishop Museum
Bishop Museum
2,447 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu Museum of Art
Honolulu Museum of Art
1,109 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,944 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honolulu or Maui

What do you enjoy doing on Maui? How many days do you have? I would surely think about a vacation on Oahu and when you have time, the other islands as well - they are all great. You will discover how different and yet wonderful they all are. :)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Reply to: Honolulu or Maui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted