We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial day or Labor Day + -

washington state
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
Memorial day or Labor Day + -

Hello there, I am considering a trip to Santa Fe with my wife as we have a couple free Southwest tickets we need to use Our 30th anny is on Sept 3rd and we are trying to decide where to go,with Santa Fe one option. However we may go somewhere else for the anny and if so then may go to Santa Fe on or around Memorial day. My research indicates a big festival "Zorba?" right after Labor day but nothing huge on Memorial day. Weather is prob ok either time. Sooooooo, all things considered, and if flights are available would you go from May 23-29, or from say August 31- Sept 7 ???? Thanks

New Mexico
Level Contributor
921 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Memorial day or Labor Day + -

In my opinion, Zozobra is really more of a locals event and it is the Thursday after Labor Day weekend. So if you are coming for Labor Day- you will miss it.

Zozobra is part of "Fiesta Week" which has some fun parades and events.

There was an article in todays paper about Zozobra.

santafenewmexican.com/Local%20News/012413zozo

There is plenty of activities on both weekends.

Labor Day would have the (very) slight edge for weather but both weekends will be great.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Memorial day or Labor Day + -

I've been there both Memorial Day and Labor Day. The latter was more crowded, more expensive, but the weather was nicer (but that probably varies). We had longer waits at restaurants Labor Day weekend.

That being said, we tried to go to Bandelier National Monument last year on Memorial Day weekend. It was so crowded we couldn't even get into the parking lot. Something to keep in mind. But in the Plaza area, it didn't feel particularly crowded.

washington state
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Memorial day or Labor Day + -

Thank you both for your responses. It seems like kind of a toss up. Which I guess is why I asked in the first place. I'll see if I get any other opinions and go from there. thanks again.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,281 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: Memorial day or Labor Day + -

Both times are very nice in Santa Fe. I think Memorial Day weekend has cooler weather most of the time and the flowers, shrubs and trees are blooming and beautiful. Love to take photos on Canyon Road! Labor Day weekend will be hotter, still considered summer and there are many more people visiting. Still beautiful. If I had to make a choice, I'd go with Memorial Day just for the late spring/early summer weather and flowers.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Memorial day or Labor Day + -

Now, I love Labor Day weekend. A touch of fall in the air. Chile roasting season (great aroma). Info and posters for Fiesta. Less crowds that summer (NM school back in session in mid-August). Tho Memorial Day is good too. Also Fourth of July. Or any other time......

6. Re: Memorial day or Labor Day + -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 19:19
Get answers to your questions about Santa Fe