We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in TX and CC

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
10 posts
95 reviews
First time in TX and CC

Hi!

First time visitors to CC, will spend 4 days there in early December. Are there any jetski rentals available in early Dec.? How is the weather usually around that time? If looking for a "beach vibe", what would be our best guess for a hotel/location? How about nightlife, comedy clubs etc? We are frequent travellers to the States and looking forward to visiting TX and CC for the first time. Thanks for any info and tips on CC!

10 replies to this topic
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
10 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: First time in TX and CC

PS. Forgot to ask, any restaurants/bars with live country music? :) If not live, what would be the place to go for a country fan?

MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: First time in TX and CC

The beach vibe tends to convert to the snowbirds and so things are a little lower key than in the summer.

Nearest jet ski would be in Port A but I don't think they will be open .

Live country music at Brewster Street Icehouse and Concrete Street Amphitheater and Whisky River for a dance club.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
134 reviews
3. Re: First time in TX and CC

Since Texas doesn't sit on the gulfstream current like Florida does, our winters are significantly cooler. The average high temperature in Corpus in December is 67, low 52. (19/11 Celsius.) If you want to be in the water at those temps, you'll need a wetsuit.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: First time in TX and CC

December is slow season for tourists and as mentioned the waters will be quite cool. You could get lucky and find temps as high as 24°C but it can get as low as 5ºC as well..

Take a look at accommodations along Mustang island and the norther part of Padre Island around Whitecap Beach and Bob Hall Pier. Malaquite Beach within the National Seashore is a favorite of ours.

Mesquite Street Comedy Club is in downtown Corpus Christi and a good fun place. Agree with Brewster Street Ice House. Also look at Executive Surf Club for live entertainment.

You will find some nice honky tonks in Port Aransas. Check the city's Chamber of Commerce calendar nearer your arrival.

Check out Captain Jack's for jet skis but not sure about off season rentals. http://captainjacksjetskirentals.com/

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
10 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: First time in TX and CC

Thanks everyone! I hope we get lucky and get some warmer temps in early Dec this year in CC but hey, you never know :) +19c would feel warm to us coming from Helsinki in Dec :)

Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
291 reviews
6. Re: First time in TX and CC

Plain and simple, it will be dead as far as outgoing socialization at that time. Not even many bird watchers. It could be quite cold. My daughter lives in CC right now finishing nursing school. We are down there quite a bit...it snowed last year in CC. I'd steer clear of just about anything in corpus and head to Port Aransas. You'll have the beach to yourself for sure.

I don't know of any comedy clubs, there are a few concert venues in CC and some tours do come through, mostly in summer though. You'll have your pick of any hotel and VBRO, etc. at this time at reduced rates. Some hotels in Port A will probably close down to continue repairs from Hurricane Harvey. We were down in July and there's still a good amount of damage to some of the hotels. Some were completely closed, some had open accommodations but you could see construction was needed.

Are you there visiting friends, relatives or at a conference? If you can travel, 90 minutes to the north is San Antonio, TX. They embrace December and all it has to offer with events, parades, plenty of bars, good restaurants, and yes comedy clubs. My son is in medical school in San Antonio, we have a motorhome and visit often. December is one of my favorite times to go, the River Walk is lit up, and lots of activity downtown.

Edited: 31 July 2018, 02:58
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
134 reviews
7. Re: First time in TX and CC

I agree that a visit to San Antonio will probably be a much better use of your time than visiting the beach during the winter season. The Riverwalk is one of the best things for tourists to do in Texas, and it is really lovely in early December. There are many Christmas-themed events, too. http://visitsanantonio.com/holiday

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: First time in TX and CC

I will agree that San Antonio has more to see and do than Corpus Christi but remind everyone that San Antonio does not have a beach nor is it located on the Gulf of Mexico and our friends from Finland are looking to enjoy some beach time. I must say after having lived here 30 years that I love strolling the beach in the winter months much more so that in the heat of the summer!

Corpus Christi has plenty of night life and yes, we have comedy clubs. There is a great new wave of local restaurants with amazing chefs dishing out great food. I will refer you to a very recent Texas Monthly article alluding to just that.

https:/…

Agreed, summer activities are the bread and butter of coastal tourism but to paint this city of over 300,000 as a desolate wasteland in the winter months is being unfair. There is plenty to see and do and lots of activity on and around Mustang and Padre Islands.

Not sure why snow was mentioned, I have lived here all my adult life and seen snow twice, much more likely to see temps in the 25°C range.

Best hotel in the city is the Omni. Along Mustang Island check out accommodations at Cinnamon Shores, Port Royal, and the like. You might look at vacation rentals along the upper part of Padre Island also near Whitecap Beach.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
10 posts
95 reviews
9. Re: First time in TX and CC

Thanks guys! We will be thinking about San Antonio, it seems that if we´d like to add a few beach days to our vacay, we would need to head down south to South Padre Island...and it´s a bit of a drive. Maybe we´ll just forget about the beach and head up to San Antonio...although the thought of +20c in December would be really nice, it´s usually around 0c here or +-5c in both directions here. Or who knows, maybe we´ll catch a break and it turns out to be sunny and warm in San antonio too :)

Edited: 31 July 2018, 23:32
Texas
Level Contributor
600 posts
71 reviews
10. Re: First time in TX and CC

Port Aransas is a lovely little beach town and I, like previous posters, really love the beach during winter.

About 2.5 hours drive south from San Antonio...you could actually do both :)

Reply to: First time in TX and CC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corpus Christi