We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing advice

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
fishing advice

Hi

I am going to be staying in north padre island and would like to do some fishing. I have never fished in this area before.

I have done some research and have identified a few locations near to where I am staying, these are:-

Bob Hall pier

Laguna madre

Packery channel

mustang island national park

Can anybody with local fishing knowledge give advice on methods and baits to use?

all info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Terry

8 replies to this topic
MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing advice

You're not too far from Port Aransas where there are organized fishing trips. Its known as a drinking town with a fishing problem.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
421 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing advice

That's a pretty broad question. Too many answers. Just go to one of the bait houses around the JFK Causeway.

Some of the names are

The Bait Bucket

Clem's

And Billings.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
421 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing advice

I forgot about Cos Way Bait and Tackle. All these places are located around the JFK Causeway. The Bait Bucket is the nephew of Clem's.

There are just too many variables to recommend bait & tackle.

Water conditions change daily.

What's biting also changes. But when you get to the bait shop just ask questions. Folks are friendly. Especially if you have that cool out of town accent.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,985 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing advice

Spraygun ht the nail on the head. I am not someone who goes fishing but I have friends that have great success in the Laguna Madre.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fishing advice

Make sure you buy a fishing license with the correct stamps for the species you'll be fishing for.

Shafter, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fishing advice

I would definitely hire a guide to go bay fishing. For about 500 USD he will take you out for the day. I can direct you to several good guides in the area if interested. The 500 includes yourself and 1 or 2 additional fishermen you could bring along.

Whitney, Texas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fishing advice

There is some great fishing there. Have you ever been striper fishing? I go to Lake Whitney to fish with striper guide Clay Yadon. It is always an amazing experience. his website is http://stripertrips.com

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,985 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fishing advice

Hi Judy S, welcome to the forum.

Please note your response comes 4 months after the original query and Lake Whitney is 350 miles from Corpus Christi.

Reply to: fishing advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corpus Christi