We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Mexico

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
107 reviews
Day trip to Mexico

Hi,

I’m planning to visit the Corpus Christi area during my vacation in south Texas this summer. I would be interested in visiting Mexico for the day, however I have concerns about whether the border towns are safe especially as a female British tourist. I would appreciate any advice you could offer me as this is not an area I have visited before.

Many thanks :)

6 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
371 reviews
1. Re: Day trip to Mexico

Aflac92--

Before you go, read the attached release from the U.S. State Department (dated August 22, 2017):

https:/…mexico-travel-warning.html The towns you would most likely visit in Mexico would be Matamoros or Reynosa, both in Tamaulipas state. If you read the State Department warning, you'd likely avoid a visit to either of these cities.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,139 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Day trip to Mexico

If you want a taste of Mexico I would suggest Nuevo Progreso. It is a little over 2.5 hours by car from Corpus Christi and safe. About 1.5 million pedestrians walk across the bridge there annually. There is not much there except eating and shopping, unless you are looking for a dentist.

Here is a recent blog:

myquantumdiscovery.com/a-quick-trip-to-mexic…

Pasadena, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
3. Re: Day trip to Mexico

I agree. Nuevo Progreso would be the place to go. Reynosa - not so much. Remember don't drink the water or use the ice that comes with your canned/bottled drink. Learn a few phrases in Spanish or keep a translation app close at hand.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
134 reviews
4. Re: Day trip to Mexico

If you are a solo traveler, I would not go across to Mexico alone, even in a “safe” town like Progresso.

5. Re: Day trip to Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2018, 04:21

Lake Jackson...
Level Contributor
106 posts
210 reviews
6. Re: Day trip to Mexico

I'd just go to San Antonio instead. El Mercado will give a flavor of what the souvenir shops in Mexican border towns are like, and restaurants offer the same cuisine. You can even find a fruiteria that will be similar to what street vendors sell, minus the gastrointestinal risks.

Reply to: Day trip to Mexico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corpus Christi