We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Franz Joseph to Greymouth in july

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
Driving from Franz Joseph to Greymouth in july

Hi, we don’t have any experience of driving in snow. Is it manageable to drive from Franz Joseph to greymouth on july 8. Buses are fully booked that day.

3 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
51,607 posts
555 reviews
231 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving from Franz Joseph to Greymouth in july

This section of SH 6 is close to sea level all the way so unlikely to be affected by snow. As for all driving in the Si in winter you'll need to be on the look out for black ice and not drive before 10 am or after 5 pm.

More important is how are you getting to FJG (via Haast Pass, I assume). Haast Pass is the lowest of the 3 passes that cross the Southern Alps & so the least likely to be affected by snow. However where are you going after Greymouth? Arthurs Pass is more frequently affected by snow, You need to consider your journey as a whole.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving from Franz Joseph to Greymouth in july

Thanks, realised can’t find a car rental there. Actually we have a bus booked from Wanaka to Franz Joseph and train from greymouth to Christchurch but when I tried to book a bus from FJ to greymouth it’s fully booked. If I change the dates then either train is not running or bus is not available from wanaka to Franz Joseph. So wondering how we can reach from FJ to Greymouth on that day rather than changing the whole itinerary.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,348 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving from Franz Joseph to Greymouth in july

It is not fully booked, the bus from Franz to Greymouth does not run every day and not on Monday. There are seats available on Sunday and Tuesday. The Tranz Alpine is only running from Fridqy to Monday in July.

EastWest Coaches do run daily from Greymouth to Christchurch

https://www.eastwestcoaches.co.nz/greymouth-to-christchurch-shuttle.html

The West Coast has a very low population and you are travelling out of tourist season.

I think you will either have to change your plans or rent a car from Wanaka to Greymouth

Reply to: Driving from Franz Joseph to Greymouth in july
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.