We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child minding services

Level Contributor
171 posts
244 reviews
62 helpful votes
Child minding services

Hi everyone. My husband and I are travelling to NZ for 3 weeks. We live very far from NZ and it’s a once in a lifetime trip for us. We both really want to do the heli hike on the glacier but know that children below 10 aren’t allowed.

1. Are there any child minding services in the area?

2. I am sure others have been in the same boat before. What did you guys do?

3. Any hotels what offer such services?

Please don’t be rude and teach me the value of spending time with my kid and not leave them with a reliable nanny. We have used such services in Europe and US before and found them very helpful

6 replies to this topic
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
62 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Child minding services

That's a tricky one. How old is the child? Will they like being left with a stranger while on holiday?

Child minding services are not common at hotels in New Zealand. Some of the bigger ski fields have a creche for babies while the parents hit the slopes.

Ask your hotel for a recommendation. You have to go very local on this one.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,630 posts
428 reviews
245 helpful votes
2. Re: Child minding services

Ask the hotel you are staying at or the company with which you are doing the Helihike with they maybe able to assist or put you in the right direction.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
25,144 posts
728 reviews
511 helpful votes
3. Re: Child minding services

i would also suggest you contact the visitor info centre by email https://www.glaciercountry.co.nz/glacier-country/visitor-information/

There are also a few babysitting and child minding services at some hotel accommodation. so check with them.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,780 posts
201 reviews
107 helpful votes
4. Re: Child minding services

Franz is a very small village and as such doesn't have a lot of infrastructure.

There won't be a large call for child minding services to justify setting up such a service with Police checks etc.

Highly unlikely any of us are going to criticise you or any one else for having your children minded for a couple of hours. It's quite normal here.

Have you asked the helicopter operator if the know someone suitable?

1 post
5. Re: Child minding services

Hi did manage to get any child minding services as we have the same situation. Thanks

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,780 posts
201 reviews
107 helpful votes
6. Re: Child minding services

I wonder I'd ECE (early childhood education) centre's in a place like Franz may provide this sort of service on the side.

Their staff would have the police checks necessary for anyone who work with children.

Edited: 03 December 2023, 09:04
Reply to: Child minding services
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.