We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FJ or Fox in early August? And is it likely to be a bust?

Oak Park, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
FJ or Fox in early August? And is it likely to be a bust?

I will be in NZ for the World Cup next year and hoping to do a heli-hike on one of the glaciers, but I'm reading that the weather is always finicky and that this time of year (early August) even more so. Is one or the other glacier better? And what are the chances I'll waste my trip there since my main reason is to do the glacier hike?

3 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
25,127 posts
728 reviews
511 helpful votes
1. Re: FJ or Fox in early August? And is it likely to be a bust?

Winter on the glaciers is a great time to visit. August actually has one of the lowest amounts of rain generally.It just depends on the weather on the day. Fox is better than franz josef as both mt cook and mt tasman visible from fox - and it is a more imtetesting glacier.

Sorry but weather forecasts in alpine areas arent accurate so a day or two out would be best accuracy.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,617 posts
428 reviews
245 helpful votes
2. Re: FJ or Fox in early August? And is it likely to be a bust?

I would allow 2 nights at Fox Glacier and hope for the best.

We have been down the west coast 3 times and stayed at Fox Glacier each time in November and February for 2 nights and due to adverse weather conditions have not been able to land on the glacier yet.

Here's hoping for November 2023.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
25,127 posts
728 reviews
511 helpful votes
3. Re: FJ or Fox in early August? And is it likely to be a bust?

#2 im hoping for you as well. we travel to west coast frequently and had many wonderful trips up on the glacier. one of my favourite things to do in nz. i love the ocean, lakes and rivers and still crave the mountains and ice.

Reply to: FJ or Fox in early August? And is it likely to be a bust?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.