We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for my food lovers!

Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
141 posts
1 review
Questions for my food lovers!
Save

Hello everyone! We are coming back to my favorite city for the week of Thanksgiving. I’m excited to support the city and to experience a holiday I like to avoid at home in the south. I work in restaurants and I am a lover of great food and craft cocktails/wine. I would love some feedback on some of the selections I have made. Note, I have been to many of the regularly recommended pics on previous vacations. We like to explore new things as well as revisit a couple classics every time we come.

We will be going to Restaurant Revolution for Thanksgiving dinner. Then going bowling at rock N bowl. Reservations already made for both. One of my questions is the two most of the bars close on Thanksgiving? Or will we be able to find places to visit that day? I assume the hotel bars will be open as their restaurants will be.

Willie Mae’s OG VS. Market Location…Has anybody been to both? Wondering if there is a difference in quality? I have only been to the original location and absolutely love it there. But we are going to be staying very close to the market and it would be convenient for us to go there for lunch one day versus grabbing an Uber. Thoughts?

New restaurants (for me)are Saba, Marjie’s, Turkey & The Wolf and Manolito. Thoughts on any of these?

Also curious on these new restaurants. Mr. Mao, Besame, Saint John’s and Thaihey (hoping they are open by our arrival as I have been to their previous location).

We want to go to Jewel of the south, the Sazerac bar, Bacchanal, Chandelier Bar, Carousel Bar, Piscobar and Double Dealer. Plus a rowdy night and bourbon street. And some other favorites in between.

We are in town for eight full days and are looking forward to all the indulgence we can muster. I appreciate any feedback you can give.

32 replies to this topic
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
6,846 posts
37 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Questions for my food lovers!
Save

I can't talk much till tomorrow, but we went to Manolito for drinks the other night. Teeny Tiny. And just a small menu of Cuban food. I have been making a list just for this question, but I'm busy tonight. Will get back to you with that list tomorrow.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
501 posts
5 reviews
9 helpful votes
2. Re: Questions for my food lovers!
Save

Saba is one of my favorites. I'm a big fan of MiddleEastern food. I really like Turkey and the Wolf too.

There's a Saints home game on Thanksgiving so there should be plenty of activity.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
501 posts
5 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Questions for my food lovers!
Save

Mosquito Supper Club is a newish place that's fantastic. Set menu, heavy on seafood. I've only been once but I'm plotting a return soon.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
15 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: Questions for my food lovers!
Save

What a fun question! You are making some really good choices. I’ll take them in order, but before I do-I’ll second adding Mosquito Supper Club to the list-a foody favorite around here and in the food press. A Cajun inspired set menu heavy on seafood. A really cute neighborhood setting too. I would also add Saint Germaine in the Bywater-their food is really unique and creative, and the chefs just won a best chef award from Food and Wine. I am really glad they got the recognition- because it is a really low key place but another local foody favorite. It’s a set menu and pricey by New Orleans standards despite being a tiny dining room in a tiny house with wine bars inside and out. It is casual. They put the money into the food rather than overhead.

In the 16+ years I’ve lived here, I’ve only been here for T-day twice, and then we had dinner at our home for family and friends. We almost always go to Manhattan to be with family and friends. So, I don’t know what bars are open. R’evolution is a good place for T-day dinner. I got an email today that Cochon was doing something special too-so you might want to check them out. They will know how to do a turkey.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
15 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Questions for my food lovers!
Save

Saba: really good Israeli/ Mediterranean food. They ply you with fresh pita bread. I always walk out stuffed but happy. The chef, Alon Shaya just opened a new restaurant at the new Four Seasons, Miss River. It’s the hottest ticket in town. Probably too late to get a reservation. I’m going next week but made reservations about 6-7 weeks ago.

Marjie’s: very good, a foody favorite among locals.

Turkey and Wolf: Huge unique sandwiches. The fried bologna is obscene. I think they try too hard with the cutesy hipster environment but will deal with it for that sandwich about once a year. Worth a visit. Would go more often, but it really is too much food for me.

Manolitos: more of a local’s place in the FQ. I live a few blocks away and we’re regulars. Teeny-tiny, sophisticated drinks, a small menu of casual Cuban food. I’ve had everything and it’s always good. Hubs loves their Cubano sandwich. Usually meet interesting people in there. Seems popular with bartenders.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
15 reviews
12 helpful votes
6. Re: Questions for my food lovers!
Save

I would go to the original Willie Mae’s. I’ve only had delivery from the outpost at the market and it was really greasy and no comparison to the original location. This is probably an unfair comparison because who knows how long it was between when the chicken came out of the fryer and arrived at my door.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
15 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: Questions for my food lovers!
Save

I haven’t been to any of the 4 new restaurants you mentioned yet-but they are all on my list. Seems to be positive buzz about all of them.

Jewel of the South is a lovely place, off the beaten tourist track in the FQ. I’ll let you know next week what the Chandelier bar is like-sounds glamorous. The Sazarac is a great place, definitely worth a visit. Bacchanal is fun and worth a visit. I haven’t been to the Carousel Bar in years. Last few times I attempted, there were just too many people lined up to get in. Not my scene.

Some other interesting bars with great cocktails in the FQ: Effervessance (focus on champagne and food that goes with it-really pretty), French 75 at Arnaud’s (one of the most romantic bars), Bar Tonique (kind of divey, but talented bartenders and often an interesting crowd), the bar at Sylvain, if you like Tiki drinks- Tiki Tolteca and Beachbum Berry’s Latitude 29. A new one just opened near the French Market but I haven’t been there yet. Napoleon House is also a must visit for a Pimm’s Cup (made by Mario) and to observe the only in New Orleans space. We also always have fun at Molly’s at the Market and on the balcony at Lafitte’s in Exile (basic drinks). Another nice place to go for a drink in the FQ is in the beautiful courtyard of Cafe Amelie.

Edited: 13 October 2021, 14:28
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
15 reviews
12 helpful votes
8. Re: Questions for my food lovers!
Save

I haven’t been to the Piscobar, but it’s on our list. I’ve heard good things about it. I haven’t heard anything about Double Dealer. Another gorgeous bar with great drinks, is Bar Marilou in the Warehouse district. I could go on but, you’ve got a great list going already.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
6,846 posts
37 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: Questions for my food lovers!
Save

Like I said before, I'll post my ideas tomorrow, quick question...how many times have you been here before? I have a few new suggestions that haven't been suggested yet.

10. Re: Questions for my food lovers!

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 October 2021, 14:52

Reply to: Questions for my food lovers!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.