We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car? Or Not?

denver, co
Level Contributor
490 posts
123 reviews
Rental Car? Or Not?

I will be going to Aurora Borealis Lodge in early February 2019. I am spending the night in Fairbanks first. I am trying to decide if I should rent a car or not. I have checked with the car rental companies. Most have 4x4 vehicles with all weather tires. It is about a 20 mile drive. The alternative is to take a van out and back. There is no restaurant or food service at the lodge. Rooms do have kitchens however. While I live in Denver and am comfortable driving in the snow, I do have concerns that the weather could be inclement and I would be on unfamiliar roads. Also, not sure if I would really be going back and forth into Fairbanks in that case. Anyone have experience with this area and have an opinion? Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Rental Car? Or Not?

Hello. I just came back from Fairbanks. Aurora Borealis lodge provide Daly Norther light view tour. The owner will provide driver to pick up tourist from Fairbanks hotel and spend 4 hours in the lodge and back to Fairbanks after the tour. The road is not difficult to drive because I was offered a ride in the second day to Cleary summit by a old lady who has not driven in the snow for 37 years. She does not drive 4x4 to get there. You should have no problem if you have experience driving in the snow

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
2. Re: Rental Car? Or Not?

Rent a 4X4 if cost is not a concern. It's a lot more convenient if you have your own transportation.

Reply to: Rental Car? Or Not?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted