We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

memorial day getaway

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
293 posts
29 reviews
memorial day getaway

Hello all,

My husband and I want to get away for two days over memorial day weekend and we decided to drive up to Savannah (we live in South FL). We do not want to reserve hotels and make travel plans , we just want it to be spontaneous, but after reading a little bit about the city , it seems that not having hotel reservation and travel plans is not such a good idea over memorial day weekend ?

What would you say ? Any comments are appreciated :)

-D.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
1. Re: memorial day getaway

My best friend and I will be in Savannah for a girls getaway over Memeorial Day weekend. We are staying at the Marriott on River Street....paid $120.00 per night on Priceline (listed for $220.00 per night on Expedia). What are your reasons for not securing a room in advance?

Edited: 21 May 2010, 04:59
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
293 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: memorial day getaway

just being spontaneous :D and also ... not sure if we wanna make the drive since the traffic is going to be pretty heavy

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: memorial day getaway

You should be able to find a room without much problems. You may not be able to find a last minute room at the beach or on river/bay street but there are a lot of rooms within 30 minutes of downtown.

Just for the record I am one who travells half the time without resevations. A lot of people say I am nutty.

John

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: memorial day getaway

The historic district (downtown) will likely have few available rooms, if any over the Memorial Day weekend. However, the Savannah Bed and Breakfast Inn on West Gordon St. in the district is a gem of a place which may be available as it's sort of of the beaten torurist path and quiet. Very nice inside, too.

An alternative to the downtown area: south of Derenne Avenue, known as midtown....minutes from historic district. Numerous nationally known hotel chains with room fees lower than downtown prices. Avoid the Red Roof and Quality Inns in this neighborhood ---both are run-down inside. Suggested new hotel: Hampton Inn & Suites behind the Hilton Garden

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
293 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: memorial day getaway

Thank you all - great advices

6. Re: memorial day getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2010, 20:46
Get answers to your questions about Savannah