We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day 2015

Runcorn UK
Level Contributor
144 posts
19 reviews
Memorial Day 2015

We will be in New York for 5 nights in May and I'm just starting to plan our trip in detail. I have just realised that it will be Memorial Day while we are there. Is there anything I should be aware of about this day? In the UK our Remembrance Day is on November 11th and at 11am many people stand for 2 minutes silence. I'm not sure if there are similar traditions in the USA on this day.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
20,091 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Memorial Day 2015

Memorial Day is the unofficial start of Summer in the US.

-No traditions but you will see the US flags hanging all over.

-There are some parades in the outer boroughs.

-City parks have events.

-Washington Square area of the Village usually has an outdoor art show.

-Brooklyn Academy of Music has an African Street fest

-Etc.

There will be loads to do in the city. Check TONY a few days before you arrive. Here is the link from last year:

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/memorial-day

New York City
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: Memorial Day 2015

There is a Very Big Airshow at Jones Beach, really Amazing

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,372 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Memorial Day 2015

We have Veterans Day on November 11th; it's for all who served, while Memorial Day is for soldiers who died.

Lots of New Yorkers leave town over this long weekend, which, as TER mentioned, is considered to be the beginning of summer. (Labor Day weekend marks the end of summer).

Museums and attractions don't close, nor do most shops and restaurants, so in that regard you won't really notice the holiday.

Fleet Week in NYC will be going on from May 20th-26th:

fleetweeknewyork.com/fleetweeknewyork/index.…

May is a lovely time of year - enjoy! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Memorial Day 2015

I'm coming over in May too, it all sounds great :-)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Memorial Day 2015

I have been to the city over Memorial Day weekend 3 of the last 4 years and am coming back this May. It's a great time to be there. Everything is green but not too hot yet, things might be a little less crowded with some folks out of town, etc.

It's also medium range period for hotel and flight prices. Enjoy your trip.

6. Re: Memorial Day 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2016, 19:17