We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Decorations in New York

los angeles
Level Contributor
265 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Decorations in New York

I'm hoping to visit New York this December when all the Christmas lights and decorations are up. When do they typically start putting up the decorations?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Decorations in New York

Right after Thanksgiving (late November) and stay up until early January. Christmas is amazing in NYC!

Come in middle of December you may have chance of seeing some snow as well

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,415 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Decorations in New York

The big tree at Rockefeller Center is lit on the Wednesday after Thanksgiving, so that date moves.

If you do a search on the Forum withe the words Christmas and update you will find Frangipani's wonderful thread about the dates for 2013 for trees, windows, iceskating, carols etc.....it will give you a good idea for 2014.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Decorations in New York

Ps! See the Christmas tree and market in Bryant Park, visit the Christmas market by Columbus Circle on 59th St. and South Street Seaport besides Rockerfeller Center

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,194 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Decorations in New York

The department stores and such begin decorating before Thanksgiving, but displays are not necessarily complete until opening for Black Friday.

los angeles
Level Contributor
265 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Decorations in New York

Perfect..thanks everyone!

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,973 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Decorations in New York

NYC has relatively few street decorations compared to other world cities. The focal point of the holiday period is Rockefeller Center. Several major department stores have elaborate window displays with moving figures---Saks, Lord & Taylor on Fifth Avenue and Macys 34th Street. I hope you will not be disappointed with what there is to see. Traditionally, the department store decorations went up for Thanksgiving, but this has advanced of late.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,194 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Decorations in New York

In the "olden days" no department store Christmas decorations went up before Thanksgiving and the display crews worked all the way though from Wed evening to opening on Black Friday so the store was "magically transformed" for Christmas.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Decorations in New York

Here's a link to the 2013 holiday dates thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6976159…

Thanksgiving 2013 was Thursday, November 28th and in 2014 it will be Thursday, November 27th, so most dates should shift by just a day. No guarantees this early, though, of course.

Here's a recent thread with a link to the photos taken by regular poster Aynat during her December 2013 trip - gives you an idea of NYC's holiday decorations:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7104785…

Enjoy!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,400 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Decorations in New York

Why thank you Frangipani. All I did was point and shoot, NYC provided the inspiration. It's certainly a bucket list trip to be in the city over the festive season.

And Frangipani has some great photos of her own, she is very modest.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/fave-snaps/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,415 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Decorations in New York

So glad for Aynat and Frangipani's photos....don't need to rush to do mine as they are the same scenes (tho' not nearly as good as either of theirs).