We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial day 2012, good time to visit?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Memorial day 2012, good time to visit?

We are planning a visit for May 25 to June 1 this year and have just realized that these dates coincide with Memorial day and Fleet week.

Can anyone tell us if these two events will make tourist areas crazy busy ? We are considering changing our plans to June , but prices go up, etc. . Any guidance is appreciated.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Memorial day 2012, good time to visit?

Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,364 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: Memorial day 2012, good time to visit?

it will be busy with domestic and foreign visitors. Many New Yorkers leave the city but we dont typically visit tourism sites anyway. I wouldnt put off the trip, just try to do the popular attractions earlier in the day; people coming in from the burbs usually wont make it into the city much before 11am-noon. It will be almost as busy any June weekend.

also it stays light into the night, so you can plan other touristy things for the evening - well after the "day trippers" have gone home.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 22 March 2012, 09:11
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Memorial day 2012, good time to visit?

No probs. You'll see a lot of sailors!

The Intrepid will be crowded.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Memorial day 2012, good time to visit?

Usually, events in NYC do not have a noticeable impact because the city is so large and crowded, an extra few thousand people don't add all that much. The only really crowded events are the Thanksgiving Day Parade and the 4th of July fireworks. Everything else is usually just an asterisk on the crowds.

It's like when my high school in Brooklyn had about 100 kids who failed to graduate; it was out of 1682 seniors, so it didn't seem like all that many. Yes the school contained nearly 6000 students, if you're asking :^)

Edited: 22 March 2012, 09:20
New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Memorial day 2012, good time to visit?

"Can anyone tell us if these two events will make tourist areas crazy busy ? "

Do you think June will be any better? Many New Yorkers leave the city, I am going away on vacation. So who take our place while we are away, the sailors.

I would come because of the weather. May's weather can be not to hot and not too cool, for you to enjoy yourself because you can find plenty of outdoor cafes that take advantage of the weather. You can grab NY times, order a coffee sit out doors, pretend to be a New Yorker because you are enjoying yourself and do not care what the tourists think!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Memorial day 2012, good time to visit?

Thank you all, we really didn't look at it that way, we have never been to NYC, so looks like we will stick with our plans for May 25th. Could I ask one more thing, we are looking at Affinia Shelburne or Manhattan for accommodations.We need 2 beds and a kitchenette would be great, again any input is appreciated.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Memorial day 2012, good time to visit?

Bill_from_nyc, I've looked at weather history for May and June. I am arriving May 30 and departing June 4. I am wondering about how cool the days are at that time. I saw photos from a group that went end of June last year and they wore shorts, but had jackets on too. Jackets at the END of June lead me to think first of June might be quite cool. Thanks!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Memorial day 2012, good time to visit?

I was in NYC over the Memorial Day holiday last year. It was pretty warm during the day, I'd only brought one pair of shorts so I ended up buying another while there. The evenings were still coolish, very pleasant. I didn't find anything more crowded than usual, and was surprised at some of the sales I found around town that I wasn't expecting. I think it's a great time to visit.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Memorial day 2012, good time to visit?

thank you that is good info , we have decided to keep our plans and enjoy whatever we encounter

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Memorial day 2012, good time to visit?

Did you not know there are some New Yorkers that wear shorts in the winter time too?

The weather has been pretty weird I will even say the weather today feels like early June and we are seeing all over the city sign of early blooming. Just come with a jacket, a light one and will you be fine.