We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

And The Journey Begins…NYC Trip Report

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
And The Journey Begins…NYC Trip Report
Save

Please forgive the duplication as I posted in the NY state forum in error.

I wake up after 4-5 hours of sleep at 2:00am. I try to ease into the start of a long day. I packed, checked my house, wrote down my partner’s phone number (I really should have it memorized, but who else stopped doing that with the advent of cellphones?) on my travel packet in case my phone battery dies. I brought two extra power banks with me just in case. Will have to stop at a Duane Reed or Walgreens to buy a new plug in chord.

Wingz didn’t match me with a driver, but they promptly refunded my payment. I went with Uber instead which was only $3 more (not including tip). Driver told me that he was getting like $14 for the trip but the ride cost me $56 (without tip). Was a little nervous that I would have to call a cab last minute.

Security was pretty easy and fast. Still more people than I expected to see at such an early hour. Truth be told, my flight was supposed to leave around 8am and less than a couple days after I purchased it, they switched the time to 7am.

Got to SFO Terminal 1 and it is absolutely beautiful!! I haven’t been in that terminal in a long while and wow!! Very nice upgrades to the design features and seating lay out. Tons of different seating options and plug-in charging stations. Very different from when I usually ride Southwest and the terminal is okay.

First sticker shock at a small, non-Newport News store. $5 for a bottle of water. $3.50 for a can of soda. Overpriced other drinks. Pass.

Second store had more affordable drinks (in the big scheme of things) and I depart with a vitamin water.

Another hour and change before my flight starts to board. The flight agents share that their ticket scanning system is slow and to just state your name and seat number. And to please not unmask while talking to the agent.

I’m going to try to go with the flow and not try to control every aspect of my trip. I planned out most events, but anticipate that some afternoons will be planned the day before or the day off.

I love all aspects of traveling (except high prices at the airport), and will share them with you. I hope you enjoy the tales of my cost efficient trip to NYC.

190 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,012 posts
42 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: And The Journey Begins…NYC Trip Report
Save

Following..

New York City
Level Contributor
11,346 posts
126 reviews
84 helpful votes
2. Re: And The Journey Begins…NYC Trip Report
Save

Yeah, I gotta follow this one

Manhattan
Level Contributor
10,339 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: And The Journey Begins…NYC Trip Report
Save

What Ziggy says..

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
22 reviews
45 helpful votes
4. Re: And The Journey Begins…NYC Trip Report
Save

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Sweden
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
41 reviews
35 helpful votes
5. Re: And The Journey Begins…NYC Trip Report
Save

I'm with Ziggy.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: And The Journey Begins…NYC Trip Report
Save

@howardform — I dunno. I might surprise you. ;)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
111,167 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
7. Re: And The Journey Begins…NYC Trip Report
Save

Travel safely.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: And The Journey Begins…NYC Trip Report
Save

Thank you, everybody. 👏👏👏

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
187 reviews
59 helpful votes
9. Re: And The Journey Begins…NYC Trip Report
Save

Don't forget to have fun!

California
Level Contributor
612 posts
222 reviews
68 helpful votes
10. Re: And The Journey Begins…NYC Trip Report
Save

wishing you a wonderful time!!!

Reply to: And The Journey Begins…NYC Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.