We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bronx/NY/Young family

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
19 helpful votes
Bronx/NY/Young family
Save

Good morning/afternoon/evening

I'm hoping to visit the US for the first time with my partner, 3 and 1 year old. We will be staying in NY (not sure exactly where?) for around a week (maybe 2) as we have family who live in the Bronx.

Just a few questions:

- Which part of NY do you advise we stay in that's not too far from family. We're certainly not after anything lux but of course it has to be clean, rated well and close to everything.

- Of course we would like to do a bit of sightseeing but as we have 2 infants we are limited by what we can do. Anything you can suggest please.

- Which would be the best time of the year to go. My oldest hasn't started school yet so we are flexible and would like to use that to our advantage £. I don't want to go when it's cold! Or heaving with people and expensive £££.

- Any other tips welcome - especially money saving ones!

Thanks

12 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
52,187 posts
1,376 reviews
360 helpful votes
1. Re: Bronx/NY/Young family
Save

What do your family recommend? Most attractions are in Manhattan, but the Bronx has the famous zoo and other worthwhile places to go. SO many “Where should we stay” threads here that you should spend ten minutes reviewing to see what works for you. Understand that vacation rentals, like VRBO and Airbnb are almost entirely illegal in NYC, no matter what platform you find them on.

Cold runs from November to March.

Your other questions are kind of vague and hard to answer

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: Bronx/NY/Young family
Save

Thanks for that.

Apologies for the vagueness, I did my best to be clear.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
32,224 posts
3. Re: Bronx/NY/Young family
Save

The Bronx is really big

You need to ask your relatives which transit routes they live near

https://new.mta.info/

Boston...
Level Contributor
52,187 posts
1,376 reviews
360 helpful votes
4. Re: Bronx/NY/Young family
Save

Your inquiry about sightseeing and "Anything you can suggest please." is vague. There are literally hundreds of things to see in NYC. Trying to guess what would be appropriate for you without knowing your interests is next to impossible.

As suggested, read existing threads to figure out your options, then come back with specific questions for specific advice.

Sweden
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
41 reviews
35 helpful votes
5. Re: Bronx/NY/Young family
Save

Which subway line is nearest where they live and is it close enough to be walkable for a family with the children your age from there to their home? If we know this, suggesting areas in Manhattan with easy access to those subway lines will make it easier if you don't feel like making too many transfers if you plan on visiting their home.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
111,151 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
6. Re: Bronx/NY/Young family
Save

The 2 areas in Manhattan I’d concentrate on is the upper west side and midtown in the area around Grand Central. The upper west side is an area where many NYC families actually live, it's near Central Park and it's relatively close to the Bronx. The Beacon hotel is an apartment style hotel with kitchens that would be convenient with such small children. The Newton Hotel is also in that area and likely less expensive. They don't have kitchens but fridge and microwave.

Some areas of the Bronx are best to reach by Metro North train which would leave from Grand Central station. The Affinia Shelburne is an apartment style hotel in that area.

Deciding when to come is a balancing act between good weather and good hotel prices. NYC hotel prices fluctuate wildly by date and usually best weather coincides with high hotel prices. If you don't mind hot weather, the beginning of July can be a good time to visit as many people prefer a beach vacation then. If you come around the 4th of July you'd also get to see the fireworks for our Independence Day.

On the right column of this page on the full website (not the app) is a column titled “Top Questions about NYC.” While a lot of it was written some years ago, the information is still valid. The 8th bulletin down gives you info on the cheapest times to visit. The 9th bullet lists “must sees and dos”. The 11th bullet is tips for first timers. Toward the bottom is a bullet on what to do with kids and how to do it.

Have fun planning.

NXZ
Boston
Level Contributor
121 posts
14 reviews
18 helpful votes
7. Re: Bronx/NY/Young family
Save

Why travel overseas with such small kids? They will not get anything out of it, will not remember it. Why not wait at least til the younger one reaches the age of 6-7?

There aren't any attractions in NYC for a 1 year old. Kids of school age will enjoy the Bronx Zoo, the Museum of Natural History (with the whale, dinosaurs etc), the High Line (a long parkway along the old elevated train tracks), Central Park, Roosevelt Island (accessed with cable car), the Battery, kiddie-oriented food from street food stands.

I'm not familiar with the Bronx, but can you stay with your family there? Or can they tell you where to stay? I am sure you know most of the Bronx is high-crime, and only a true local long-term resident of the Bronx could tell you where it would be safe to stay. There are direct subway lines and express buses between the Bronx and Manhattan, but again only a true Bronx expert could tell you which of that is safe to ride. So, best to consult your family.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
32,224 posts
8. Re: Bronx/NY/Young family
Save

The Bronx is over 40 square miles and has many areas that are not within walking distance of a subway station or a Metro North station (Those areas usually require a local city bus to the train or a more expensive commuter express bus to Manhattan)

Even if their relatives have room to host them with small children a location you can return to for an afternoon nap might be helpful

The Bronx has few desirable hotels, there is added travel time to the typical tourist sights and, unless it happens to be along the transit route to the relatives location, could be more inconvenient than traveling from Manhattan

New York City
Level Contributor
11,342 posts
126 reviews
84 helpful votes
9. Re: Bronx/NY/Young family
Save

There are attractions for smaller children

There are children's Museums in Brooklyn, Manhattan and Staten Island

Plus you can bring the kiddos to the Park, Central Park has great playgrounds

California
Level Contributor
612 posts
222 reviews
67 helpful votes
10. Re: Bronx/NY/Young family
Save

if you want the best weather and cheaper rates my vote is for September/October. usually gorgeous temps and no holidays so less crowds.

Reply to: Bronx/NY/Young family
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.