We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cold weather around Christmas (subjective opinions)

Level Contributor
25 posts
Cold weather around Christmas (subjective opinions)
Save

Hello!

So, let's say that omnicron actually allows me and my family to visit NYC this coming December 21st (fingers crossed); I'm trying to determine how much should I wear on any given day.

I know there are, and I've read, many posts in this forum talking about the weather, but since I think the attitude towards cold weather is very subjective, I would love to hear from someone who has spent winters in Canada (Prairies would be even better) and try to do a ballpark comparison.

The reason I'm asking this is because I have a freakish aversion to heat, and imagining wearing too much is way worse than too little in my personal opinion. Specially if we'll be going into heated spaces like restaurants, museums, observatories, etc.

Does the rivers make it chillier than what's projected on the weather websites? Does the wind picks up because of tunneling among the buildings?

I see on Accuweather that the lowest would be -3 Celsius during our stay, but would that go to a -10 or -12 "feels like" like it does up here? I would only wear an actual jacket if it goes -5 or below; anything above warrants a sweater (but, again, I have temperature issues - don't judge me, lol).

Thanks!

20 replies to this topic
New York City
Level Contributor
11,342 posts
126 reviews
84 helpful votes
1. Re: Cold weather around Christmas (subjective opinions)
Save

It could be in the 20;s or in the 70s' ,. We don't know

Canada is a lot colder than NYC. The Ocean keeps NYC somewhat warmer than inland

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
2. Re: Cold weather around Christmas (subjective opinions)
Save

Well I'm from Winnipeg -would that perspective help lol?

We were there in mid-March 2019 and it was the cold wind off the water that I had issues with. In March I just wore a lighter fall jacket and comfy walking shoes. No way I would bring my actual winter parka.

Maybe a hoodie with a light jacket? That way you can shed if need be.

Edited: 02 December 2021, 09:37
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
34,477 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Cold weather around Christmas (subjective opinions)
Save

Hoodie with a light jacket, for me, would not cut it in the evening/early morning.

Level Contributor
25 posts
4. Re: Cold weather around Christmas (subjective opinions)
Save

"The Ocean keeps NYC somewhat warmer than inland" - I actually thought it would make it colder - what do I know? Thanks for the tip, howardform!

Hello, Kathy F, my fellow Winnipeger - hoodie and light jacket is exactly what I'm thinking but wanted to know first if people here would call me crazy. Right now, with this super mild winter we're having here, I can't stand any more than just that whenever I go out. Today, at (feels like) 2C is just hoodie time!

Thanks for the input!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
5. Re: Cold weather around Christmas (subjective opinions)
Save

Nice to see another pegger that is a NYC lover! Yes if the weather was like today here in Winnipeg I would be wearing my fall jacket. I've hardly worn my winter jacket yet this winter!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
22,639 posts
27 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: Cold weather around Christmas (subjective opinions)
Save

I disagree with Howard with a caveat. I think NYC is cold in the winter due to high humidity & the wind tunnel effect between buildings. The caveat is that I'm the exact opposite of the OP. I'd much rather the heat of summer than the cold of winter.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
111,151 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
7. Re: Cold weather around Christmas (subjective opinions)
Save

The best way to dress in NYC is in layers. That way you can add or subtract a layer or 2 depending on temperature. It also allows you to peel layers if you're in an overheated store or museum.

USA
Level Contributor
22,665 posts
27 reviews
21 helpful votes
8. Re: Cold weather around Christmas (subjective opinions)
Save

***It could be in the 20;s or in the 70s' ,. We don't know***

The above is true. Typical weather is cold, so the best bet is to have the clothing you need. You can always remove a layer.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
25 reviews
10 helpful votes
9. Re: Cold weather around Christmas (subjective opinions)
Save

Yes to layers, not thermals.

And take a fold up bag in your handbag (wallet?) that you can use to put any layers you take off when you to indoors (cafes and restaurants, shops, museums etc) so that you don't drop/lose anything like your hat, gloves, scarf, pullover etc. And it makes it easier to cloak them if you have that opportunity.

I use a standard Baggu fold up bag - it comes in its own little pouch so folds up to stay neat in my handbag.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
10,847 posts
90 reviews
51 helpful votes
10. Re: Cold weather around Christmas (subjective opinions)
Save

The chance of snow on Christmas is usually quoted as 10%. As mentioned, the ocean does moderate temperatures in NYC which is almost an island in the ocean and is totally surrounded by saltwater. In the spring, ocean breezes can be cool, while in the fall, they can be warm. You can look up averages, but it is best to check immediately prior to your trip.

Reply to: Cold weather around Christmas (subjective opinions)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.