We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What happens if you test positive whilst on holiday in NYC?

London, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
56 reviews
34 helpful votes
What happens if you test positive whilst on holiday in NYC?
Save

So people visiting New York (from overseas) who decide to get tested for covid on days 3-5 - if they test positive, what happens? Where do they stay? I can’t imagine a regular hotel would let them isolate there. I just wondered. My travel insurance theoretically covers me for isolating, and a different flight back. But I was just wondering what the process is?

17 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
1. Re: What happens if you test positive whilst on holiday in NYC?
Save

That's really an excellent question for which there is probably no clear answer. It's great you're even thinking of that as most people simply ignore the recommendation. We can now see the possible consequences of not getting tested at 3-5 days in the new Omicron case in San Francisco. That person returned to US on 11/22, but was not tested until 11/29, when he or she became symptomatic and had presumably been in the community for a week.

If all else fails, I would contact NYC Health Dept for advice. There is no clearly stated process.

Edited: 02 December 2021, 09:14
United States
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
2. Re: What happens if you test positive whilst on holiday in NYC?
Save

PS: I just tweeted about this to Director of CDC and NYC Health Commissioner, asking what procedure people are supposed to follow, but there is no guarantee either will respond.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
32,222 posts
3. Re: What happens if you test positive whilst on holiday in NYC?
Save

As per https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-testing.page

"If you test positive for COVID-19 through a diagnostic test, immediately separate yourself from others and contact your health care provider.

The NYC Test & Trace Corps can help you and your close contacts prevent the spread of the virus . If you cannot safely separate at home, you and those you may have exposed to the virus can qualify for a free hotel room.

You should stay isolated until all of the following are true:

It has been at least 10 days since:

You started having symptoms or

The date you were tested (if you did not have symptoms)

You have not had a fever for at least 24 hours without taking fever and pain-reducing medicines, such as Advil, Motrin, Tylenol or aspirin

Your overall illness has improved

If you develop trouble breathing, persistent pain or pressure in your chest, confusion, inability to stay awake, bluish lips or face, or any other emergency condition, call 911 immediately."

United States
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
4. Re: What happens if you test positive whilst on holiday in NYC?
Save

Is the city still providing accommodation for positive people? I know they were doing it at height of lockdown, and also some of those people ended up in hotels sheltering the homeless with not always terrific results. But now they are phasing out that homeless program, so I wonder where they are putting tourists who get stuck here.

United States
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
5. Re: What happens if you test positive whilst on holiday in NYC?
Save

You would need to check with NYC Department of Health to confirm they are providing hotels for tourists who test positive, as they did for locals during the lockdown (when there were hardly any international tourists).

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
32,222 posts
6. Re: What happens if you test positive whilst on holiday in NYC?
Save

I think you'd contact the Test & Trace Corps https://www.nychealthandhospitals.org/test-and-trace/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: What happens if you test positive whilst on holiday in NYC?
Save

Covid hospitalizations and deaths are at a 7 month high in New York. NYC is doing better than the state overall, but with a large influx of tourism and large seasonal crowds I'd be extra careful especially if people are going to need to take a covid test before they can fly home. It is only a matter of time before the variant makes it here with all the tourism.

United States
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
8. Re: What happens if you test positive whilst on holiday in NYC?
Save

I just went on that HHC website and followed the prompts to the COVID hotline phone number, where I chose the option for help with isolation after testing positive and said I was calling for a friend. I asked if they were still providing isolation hotels and she said yes and they are all in Queens. She added they do provide transportation for people, though someone in isolation isn't likely to be going many places other than maybe a doctor. She also said the person needing to isolate has to call them and they will discuss all the arrangements.

Edited: 02 December 2021, 12:40
United States
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
9. Re: What happens if you test positive whilst on holiday in NYC?
Save

Also, when I called I said I was calling on behalf of someone from another country who was staying in a midtown hotel. She didn't seem to have an issue with visitor vs local resident. I didn't ask about cost but as far as I know city has been providing these hotel rooms at no cost to people using them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
10. Re: What happens if you test positive whilst on holiday in NYC?
Save

I'm sure the city is providing only the best accommodations....

Reply to: What happens if you test positive whilst on holiday in NYC?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.