We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC vaccination requirements are reason we chose to visit

United States
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
29 reviews
20 helpful votes
NYC vaccination requirements are reason we chose to visit
Save

We spent a week in Manhattan last month and for us it was an incredible pleasure to be able to enjoy leisurely restaurant meals, bars, and attractions without worry. We live in a state where cities are actually penalized for mask mandates by withholding state funding, there is a law against vaccine discrimination so employers can't require vaccination (or even ask for status), and the vaccination rate is very low. Even before our COVID cases per capita took us to #1 in the country, we stopped "dining in" (after a brief respite May-Aug) and although we do takeout, it isn't quite the same. Restaurants and bars are way understaffed (partly because they can't guarantee the safety of their staff).

Every single indoor attraction/restaurant/bar we went to in Manhattan required (and checked) vaccination status (but not always matching ID), and masking was enforced at attractions. Even the bagel/coffee shops required masks inside, and they checked vaccination status if you were dining in (but not for takeout). Bus/Subway riders were pretty compliant. We saw a few people who had their mask below the chin, but usually for just a brief period, and then they pulled it up.

I think we benefited from lack of international visitors and those who won't visit because of the COVID restrictions. We certainly got a lower airfare and hotel rate than we would usually see. I suspect more people continuing to work remotely also contributes to the lessening of crowds in Manhattan. I certainly hope for the sake of local businesses that things resume to something closer to normal soon.

We had a wonderful visit to NYC, and my spouse, who had never been there before, wants to return.

10 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
10,795 posts
41 reviews
73 helpful votes
1. Re: NYC vaccination requirements are reason we chose to visit
Save

This is wonderful to hear. So glad you enjoyed your visit. Stay healthy and come back soon.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
7,493 posts
22 reviews
45 helpful votes
2. Re: NYC vaccination requirements are reason we chose to visit
Save

What Risa said! It made me very happy to read this - for you and us both. Here’s to many more visits!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
13 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: NYC vaccination requirements are reason we chose to visit
Save

Thank you for your post. Definitely good to read.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
32,092 posts
64 reviews
45 helpful votes
4. Re: NYC vaccination requirements are reason we chose to visit
Save

Great news!!!

Thanks for posting

Edited: 05 November 2021, 07:31
Level Contributor
61 posts
5. Re: NYC vaccination requirements are reason we chose to visit
Save

I refuse to visit a destination that doesn't have covid guidelines.

Vising NY in March 2022 with a group. The host didn't know about NY vaccine requirements, and we are giving each person in the group a plastic vaccine holder. I have mine on a lanyard so I don't have to keep fishing for it.

So excited to visit, and Thank You NY!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
6. Re: NYC vaccination requirements are reason we chose to visit
Save

As an international visitor, it’s one of the big reasons we will will be visiting NYC as opposed to other states

USA
Level Contributor
22,345 posts
27 reviews
21 helpful votes
7. Re: NYC vaccination requirements are reason we chose to visit
Save

***I refuse to visit a destination that doesn't have covid guidelines.***

I am the opposite, I can't go to destinations with extreme guidelines.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
13 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: NYC vaccination requirements are reason we chose to visit
Save

oh well

Edited: 05 November 2021, 09:03
new york
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
33 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: NYC vaccination requirements are reason we chose to visit
Save

Nice to hear. I agree 100%. I just got back from NYC and would not have gone without the mitigation efforts. I went to 8 Broadway/off Broadway shows and if not for the mask and vaccine mandates (plus getting the booster), I would have cancelled my trip. I hope the restrictions stick around for January so I can go back and see more shows. I still try to keep indoor dining to a minimum though.

I will only visit areas that take covid seriously.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
442 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
10. Re: NYC vaccination requirements are reason we chose to visit
Save

Are you from Florida?

I felt the exact same way! I loved being somewhere where it felt like someone gave a d@mn. I did get a screaming deal on my hotel so I extended and extended my trip, from 4 days to 6 to 9. The city seemed to get busier as my trip went on and it was too busy in some spots (Highline and the 9-11 Museum).

I made me realize how much I missed it and have already booked another weekend in December.

Edited: 05 November 2021, 12:50
Reply to: NYC vaccination requirements are reason we chose to visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.