We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covid requirements

4 posts
Covid requirements
Save

I am wondering how many places are really being strict on checking for kids under 18. Traveling with 2 vaccinated adults and 1 teen unvaccinated. Typically, we shop. I understand the broadway shows and boat tours are vaccine required, but are they checking all of the kids? What if they are too young for id, how are they checking the vaccine card for validity? Wondering so many things before December trip. Are all restaurants really checking everyone for cards and id? Help from a local would be great!

11 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,887 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Covid requirements
Save

Does the teen have a school ID? They can use that. Passport?

My experience with restaurants since the mandate is that they are generally checking. Yes...they are checking the kids. There are serious fines and people can lose their jobs if they let someone in w/o checking.

I would not come and expect them to not check.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,887 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Covid requirements
Save

** Typically, we shop. **

Stores are not covered by the mandate.

3. Re: Covid requirements

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 November 2021, 05:54
Edited: 05 November 2021, 05:54

4 posts
4. Re: Covid requirements
Save

Thanks for all the info. Not trying to get around rules, just wondering how this is all working. Teen has no school id, but birth certificate will have to do to get on the flight anyway. Vaccinated adults going regardless, still deciding on the teen, which is why I wanted to gather as much info as I can. There is so much to do without being at shows or museums etc, during the holidays, but the dining was my concern. I have heard that a number of restaurants are trying to keep some outdoor dining and the City is extending the outdoor availability for restaurants, but the weather in December is tricky sometimes, I know, so I do not want to rely on that.

new york
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
33 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: Covid requirements
Save

Luckily, there is time before December for the teen to get at least their first shot. The basic Key to NYC only requires one shot. You likely will be able to find restaurants that are ok with the teen dining with one shot. Businesses are free to have stricter guidelines and some do, such as Broadway shows, that require full vaccination. I recently was in NYC for 5 nights and was checked everywhere. You can dine outside and shop without a vaccine, but you will be limited in many things. How old is the teen?

I have read that teens/kids should use a school id or passport, birth certificate for those who don't have either.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31,435 posts
6. Re: Covid requirements
Save

Are you domestic or international travelers?

4 posts
7. Re: Covid requirements
Save

domestic, just coming from PA. I find a lot of this confusing because starting next week, the US is allowing international travelers under 18 to be exempt from being fully vaccinated. They will only need negative Covid test, but domestic travelers will still need to be vaccinated. I think NYC is going to have a lot of people turned away from things, who traveled there internationally with kids.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31,435 posts
8. Re: Covid requirements
Save

#7 - I think the Federal rules for international travelers because the availability and dosing protocols for young people varies in other countries

Agree some travelers will be disappointed if unaware of local rules

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-vaccines-keytonyc.page

United States
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
9. Re: Covid requirements
Save

While not all places have outdoor dining, those that have it generally keep it for the winter, so you and your family should have no trouble finding a place to eat outside. However, I would recommend getting your kid vaccinated, and the sooner the better.

4 posts
10. Re: Covid requirements
Save

it is my niece, so unfortunately, I have to wait for her parents to do so and I have no say, but thanks for the info. Plan to make the decision soon on whether to bring her or not.

Reply to: Covid requirements
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.