We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transiting in NY (JFK & NWK)

1 post
1 review
Transiting in NY (JFK & NWK)
Save

Hi all

So we are traveling from South Africa to Mexico City in December and I have seen some flight tickets with a Change of airport in New York like arriving in JFK but departing from NWK.

The question is, are these flights worth it?

I know to transit in the US we need a C1 Visa, do we need to get that from our local US Embassy?

Is the cost really 160USD for a transit Visa?

There are some other flights via Dubai which skips any stops in the US but they are about 30% more expensive however if I need to pay 160USD for a transit VISA + the cab transferring between JFK and NWK then taking the Dubai flight seems like a less stressful option?

4 replies to this topic
Sweden
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
41 reviews
35 helpful votes
1. Re: Transiting in NY (JFK & NWK)
Save

NWK? Or did you mean EWR?

Boston...
Level Contributor
50,983 posts
1,362 reviews
358 helpful votes
2. Re: Transiting in NY (JFK & NWK)
Save

Any change of flights in the US requires that you have the ability to enter the US. We don’t have “transit areas”, so JFK to EWR is the same as a transfer within JFK.

“Worth it” is something only you can determine, but it can be a long and expensive transfer.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
110,549 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
3. Re: Transiting in NY (JFK & NWK)
Save

I have no idea about cost of a visa or immigration requirements, but the transfer between JFK and EWR is simply awful. It can take a really long time and be expensive or it can take a really long time and require multiple train transfers. They’re in different states on opposite sides of Manhattan. I always tell people to avoid this transfer.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
104 reviews
50 helpful votes
4. Re: Transiting in NY (JFK & NWK)
Save

I would recommend flights that transit somewhere else.

Are you looking at a travel site with this itinerary or via an airline directly? Some airlines have flight itineraries where you have change airports, but also some travel sites cobble together separate flights to present the overall itinerary as a deal, which can unfortunately cause other problems. For example if the first flight is delayed/cancelled and you miss the second flight, you would be on your own to fix your travel plans where as if you had a single booking, the airline would help rearrange your flights.

That aside, in addition to the visa requirements, in order to enter and transit the US you also have to satisfy the COVID requirements (vaccination) and testing:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/noncitizens-US-air-travel.html

So you would also want to factor in the cost of any testing that you would need to pay for.

Reply to: Transiting in NY (JFK & NWK)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.