We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockettes in December

1 post
Rockettes in December
Save

Getting ready to purchase tickets for the Rockettes Christmas Show and want the best view without breaking the bank. Hard to tell from the seating diagram which ones are best. Help would be appreciated

8 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
18 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: Rockettes in December
Save

For your budget what are your options?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
22,568 posts
27 reviews
9 helpful votes
2. Re: Rockettes in December
Save

Go to the website View From My Seat to see photos taken from various perspectives.

USA
Level Contributor
22,401 posts
27 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Rockettes in December
Save

Radio City is a great venue for a show, I don't think there is a bad seat in there.

For me, I enjoy being in the center orchestra, as close to the stage as possible, but that's me.

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,751 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
4. Re: Rockettes in December
Save

If you want to see the overall choreography of the Rockettes with their dancing formations, a seat further back might be better, such as the First Mezzanine. To see up close and the costumes, somewhere closer to the front in the Orchestra is optimal.

And note, the rake of the seats in Radio City Music Hall is quite shallow so if you are short and have a tall person in front of you you might be leaning to see around them.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11,714 posts
25 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Rockettes in December
Save

I have seen the show twice.

The first time I sat in the middle area in the Orchestra - not right at the front, maybe 1/3-1/2 back from memory. Great. Got a great view of the overall choreography from there.

The second time I was higher up, second mezz from memory and further to the side too. It was too far away and lots of people in that area were not concentrating on the show. The 'highlight' was the mum behind me who decided to read a book to her distracted kid to keep her quiet. Seriously!! Take the kid outside.

United States
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
6. Re: Rockettes in December
Save

I have only seen it from orchestra, usually a third of the way or so back. I agree front mezzanine could be good from standpoint of choreography; in ballet the best (and often most expensive) seats in the house are considered to be one level up. However, if you have any youngsters with you, also take their ability to see into account.

Edited: 03 November 2021, 15:49
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
369 posts
77 reviews
68 helpful votes
7. Re: Rockettes in December
Save

I've been to the show every year for the past 10 years (except 2020) and have sat in many locations. In my experience, the best bang for your buck/view is Orchestra 2,3,5 or 6 and in any row before K (to avoid the overhang). The show incorporates a lot of lighting on the ceiling and the overhang obstructs the view in Orchestra and you will miss out on that experience.

Also, dont pay full price, there are tons of discounts out there, just may need to play around with different codes until one is applicable for your dates but you can usually find some that will work for you. The best thing to do is to wait until you are in NYC to purchase directly from the box office to avoid the ticketmaster fees. It is rare that this show sells out (if ever) since there are multiple performances daily. Its never happened when I've gone, which is always in December. I have been as early as the first week of December and as late as the week of Christmas and still never sold out. Hope this helps!

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
5,759 posts
253 reviews
273 helpful votes
8. Re: Rockettes in December
Save

It is not a reason not to go, but I was surprised to read that this show does not have quite as severe Covid rules as Broadway and Lincoln Center. This is partly because the show has about 1,000 employees and they don't (presumably) want to do testing for that many people. But as a performing arts retiree, and active theatergoer, I do not approve of their penny-pinching decision.

I'm not trying to stab them in the back. I mention this because mask-compliance and rule-following is relatively strong in New York City, and I just wanted to report a case where this is less so, as a matter of accuracy. I went to a Broadway musical last night. And I went to the Met Opera when they were still excluding performers under 12-years old, because they could not be vaccinated.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/arts/dance/radio-city-christmas-spectacular-covid-rules.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuonUktbfqohlSVUbASbcR8Q86RGPg_PCh6Y1in75aSOUVScHxOQPApOc_k7WILF7atAv1j-GQNZbdbQoWv1-i_VCO0F2DQm0p5_O0LI0HxIIk6PhFGUnw8CKGrki7T7hamT-dL8nz-fu5B_DYWS7ULjYgnchOAcxo5Z6cgqt33BZw_zAEu5zycA-ial6fu1yQTcHbSiBtvf6WV4paJjdMEaqukRhUPpZWDrQgdaf97sGFQ1TAlrER3h1in0uvJIeYJhEefaicGNzPZb2kr4TCWR3LI-2B5xXR4Lcl7xisr-lugWbi3GfCDEG111fyQ4PSwK7&smid=url-share

Short link:

https://nyti.ms/3k8j6no

Reply to: Rockettes in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.