We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick one

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
446 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
Pick one
Save

I just booked a very impromptu visit for a weekend in December. :) (VERY!) All because an artist I love is doing an exhibit that weekend. I fly in early Thursday morning, leave in the evening on Saturday.

I usually book up my evenings with shows but I've seen all I want to see for right now. So

if you could go to one of these would you go to: NY Botanical and Train Show, Nutcracker Ballet or to see the Rockettes?

I do LOVE gardens, never have once seen a ballet and am meh about the Rockettes when I see them on television. I know the NYBG will be crowded but I expect everything will be the weekend I chose. The Ballet just seems so traditional holiday and the Rockettes are a classic.

What do you think?

43 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
41 reviews
73 helpful votes
1. Re: Pick one
Save

Skip the Rockettes. Go to The Nutcracker. Unless your third option particularly appeals to you. To me, it’s a no brainer.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Pick one
Save

The Nutcracker sounds great. :)

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
22,553 posts
27 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Pick one
Save

1) Nutcracker but I'm a big balletomane (dance lover)

2)NYBG not a train lover but I love all things flora & fauna

3) Rockettes I've seen the show tons of times so I'd give this a miss

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11,798 posts
18 reviews
137 helpful votes
4. Re: Pick one
Save

1. New York botanical and train show

2. The Rockettes

3. Nutcracker ballet

All of them are much fun.

Level Contributor
865 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Pick one
Save

1. Rockettes

2. Gardens

3. Nutcracker

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Pick one
Save

For myself I'd pick the Nutcracker - well I have picked it, I got my tickets as soon as they went on sale. But I'm a dance lover and ballet subscriber, no idea if you'd like it or not.

I also loved the train show, mainly for the amazing models of New York buildings made entirely out of natural materials. There was a program on public television about the train show a few years back that you could check out to get an idea if it appeals to you.

https://www.thirteen.org/programs/treasures-of-new-york/treasures-new-york-holiday-train-show/

One thing to keep in mind about the Radio City Christmas Show is that the Rockettes are only a part of the show. Could be a plus or minus depending on your point of view. My favorites are the March of the Wooden Soldiers and the living nativity. You can easily find videos of bits of the show online.

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,744 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
7. Re: Pick one
Save

1. Train Show because iit's different and so Christmassy. See the rest of the gardens while there.

2. Nutcracker because it's a traditional classic performance and peaceful and very Christmassy.

3. Rockettes because it's more for kids imo. (The choregraphy of the Rockettes is very good but it's still more of a kids show imo.)

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
7,393 posts
108 reviews
94 helpful votes
8. Re: Pick one
Save

I love ballet and have seen the Nutcracker with young nieces (about 6 visits so far) and will go again. For someone who has never seen a ballet I find that the Nutcracker is easy to understand and just so beautiful.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
110,597 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
9. Re: Pick one
Save

For me, this year, none of the above. All of these attract lots of kids who will be mostly unvaccinated. For you, the most likely from what you say is gardens BUT the train show is indoors and not so much gardens but everything is made from plant materials.

If you're here Dec. 15-19, jazz at Lincoln Center is what I'd do.

https://2021.jazz.org/2122-big-band-holidays

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
323 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Pick one
Save

Nywhiz. Just purchased my ticket for the jazz at Lincoln center a few hours ago! I saw them a few years ago and it got me into the Christmas spirit.

I want to point out that it's not exactly at Lincoln Center but at the Frederick P Rose Hall. Don't make the same mistake I did and go to Lincoln center 😃

Edited: 30 October 2021, 10:32
Reply to: Pick one
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.