We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive Hotel in Midtown

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
15 helpful votes
Inexpensive Hotel in Midtown
Save

Hi. Looking for an expensive but clean hotel in midtown for myself and two daughters for the second week of December. We won’t be in the room much so just want something safe and clean. Thank you for your suggestions!

14 replies to this topic
New York City
Level Contributor
11,059 posts
126 reviews
83 helpful votes
1. Re: Inexpensive Hotel in Midtown
Save

Can you define inexpensive, You will be hard pressed to find anything in Manhattan less than $150

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
15 helpful votes
2. Re: Inexpensive Hotel in Midtown
Save

I’d like to be around $200 or under

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Inexpensive Hotel in Midtown
Save

Also, are Air B & B’s legal in NYC

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Inexpensive Hotel in Midtown
Save

I just booked at the Washington Square Hotel by Washington Park. Good rate. Good location.

Sorry This may not work out for you since you have three people in a room. I don't think I saw a big enough room for three people but you can look.

Edited: 29 October 2021, 09:55
Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,725 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
5. Re: Inexpensive Hotel in Midtown
Save

Yes, the majority of AirBnB's are illegal in NYC. Trying to find a legal one is harder than finding a cheap hotel.

Take a look at Radio City Apartments (despite the name "apartment" this is a legal hotel).

http://www.radiocityapartments.com/

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,725 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
6. Re: Inexpensive Hotel in Midtown
Save

And you might also like to look at the Pod Hotels. There are three of them in Manhattan. (Pod Pads are only for long stays).

https://www.thepodhotel.com/

Edited: 29 October 2021, 10:02
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
22,541 posts
27 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Inexpensive Hotel in Midtown
Save

It will be helpful if you give us your exact dates of travel as hotel rates vary daily. Also would 2 queens or kings do and, if not, would you mind a pull out bed or cot?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
15 helpful votes
8. Re: Inexpensive Hotel in Midtown
Save

Dec 10-12 two queens or doubles would be great

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31,427 posts
9. Re: Inexpensive Hotel in Midtown
Save

#3 - Be aware that the majority of AirBnB Style short term apartment rentals are illegal in all five boroughs of NYC

They are illegal in any residential building with three or more units. The only potentially legal ones are in one or two family houses - which are uncommon in areas that are desirable or convenient for visitors https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/articles/liz-krueger/answers-new-yorkers-concerned-or-confused-about-illegal-hotel-law and https://www1.nyc.gov/site/specialenforcement/stay-in-the-know/about-illegal-short-term-rentals.page

The source of the offer does not matter - the legal classification of the building does. No internet middleman, even otherwise respectable or well known ones, vets listings for compliance with local laws, leaving visitors vulnerable.

To get hotel advice specify 1) travel dates (Hotel prices vary significantly by date/demand) 2) room/bed configuration needed and any amenities desired 3) arrival airport / train station (OR if driving and need parking - directions of travel) and 4) hotel budget. There are some legal apartment style hotels if a kitchen is important.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
110,549 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
10. Re: Inexpensive Hotel in Midtown
Save

Hotel prices fluctuate. Those dates are expensive. I doubt you'll find anything under $200/night for 2 people let alone 3. The least expensive decent option I see is $237/night for 2 double beds at the Wall St. Inn, $551 with taxes.

Reply to: Inexpensive Hotel in Midtown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.