We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash in New York

Dublin, Ireland
8 posts
Cash in New York
Save

I'm going to NYC (from Europe) for a week in November and I was wondering how much cash should I take with me?

Im a solo female traveler who won't be using taxis, I don't go out in the evenings but I do like a good bakery 😅

I will have my international banking card but I'm not sure how much spare cash should I bring just in case.

31 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
51,062 posts
1,362 reviews
358 helpful votes
1. Re: Cash in New York
Save

We take about $20 for a weekend. A few singles for slices of pizza and a couple $5 bills for tips (chambermaid and similar). Everything else gets plastic.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,919 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Cash in New York
Save

You may also want to buy bottles of water from street vendors. Cash will be needed.

Daily tips for your room cleaning will also need cash.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
22,553 posts
27 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Cash in New York
Save

I allot $100/day for incidentals & I always end up with extra cash but I don't have to think about exchanging money types. Perhaps $50/day will suffice.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
110,597 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
4. Re: Cash in New York
Save

I hope you,ll be able to access cash from atm machines here rather than carrying a lot of cash.

Dublin, Ireland
8 posts
5. Re: Cash in New York
Save

Ahhh tips! We don't really have it where I come from. I will have to remember to tip everything and everyone.

Good tip with a bottle but as a eco-friendly /sustainable wannabe I travel with my own bottle with carbon filter built in. Will it be a problem to refill it. Is your tap water drinkable?

ATM withdrawal shouldn't be a problem but I rather be prepared.

Thank you for quick replies!

Edited: 28 October 2021, 09:41
Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,744 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
6. Re: Cash in New York
Save

Access cash from ATMs when you need it , if you can. Citibank ATM's are everywhere, if you're able to use that bank's ATMs.

I usually pay for everything with cash too, but only keep enough cash on me for a few days worth. Things like daily tips for the housemaids will need cash, a few dollars per day. (It's handy to keep the $1.00 bills and coins separate whenever you get change, for things like tips).

I don't know whether cash is widely accepted now because of the pandemic and the handling of cash, but it's worth having some on you plus a credit or debit card when needed.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11,798 posts
18 reviews
137 helpful votes
7. Re: Cash in New York
Save

>>>Is your tap water drinkable?<<

Yes it is. New York city water is very fine.

I Always ask for a glass of water whenever i go to eat.

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,744 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
8. Re: Cash in New York
Save

No need to buy water or filter your own water in NYC. The tap water is great.

Even in restaurants the tap water is fine. No need to waste money on buying specialty water when dining in.

And fill up your own bottle from the tap in your hotel room everyday before you go sightseeing.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,919 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Cash in New York
Save

**Ahhh tips! We don't really have it where I come from. I will have to remember to tip everything and everyone.**

You don't have to tip everything and everyone. Just read up on it and you will be fine.

USA
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
27 reviews
21 helpful votes
10. Re: Cash in New York
Save

For most purchases, cash is easier for me.

I do not recommend carrying too much cash, as mentioned, take money from an ATM periodically, that would be easy and convenient.

Reply to: Cash in New York
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.