We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Dec trip with my teen.. questions!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Possible Dec trip with my teen.. questions!
Save

A few questions, regarding a possible trip with my 13 year old son, just us two. I’ve been about 6 or so times but always in April or May…. But we really need a bonding trip and he can’t miss school, so winter break it is! I’m a born and bred Texan.. I’m a weather weenie. I’m also clumsy. If it snows during our trip (possible 12/17-21) will there be ice everywhere or is that maintained well by the city? Here in Fort Worth, we’re lucky if they halfway salt the streets but I know we are worlds different here.

Any winter tips for us? Since I’ve only been in the spring? Is the subway any worse or better?

Re hotels - for ease of getting around, I do prefer midtown…. Honed in on Park Central hotel because of low rates and good reviews. Also walkability to Central Park, which he loves. But for ME, because I’ve never stayed in lower east side and always wanted to, I’m debating that also. Specifically hotel Indigo. Any huge differences?

9 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,887 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Possible Dec trip with my teen.. questions!
Save

** If it snows during our trip (possible 12/17-21) will there be ice everywhere or is that maintained well by the city?**

No there won't be ice everywhere. The city and business/building owners do an amazing job of clearing the snow...which prevents ice.

**Any winter tips for us? Since I’ve only been in the spring? Is the subway any worse or better?**

Dress warm. Wear a hat and gloves. Don't feel the need to spend all of your time inside. Go out and see NYC.

The subway is fine. It may/may not be a little more crowded. It may/may not be timely.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
22,542 posts
27 reviews
9 helpful votes
2. Re: Possible Dec trip with my teen.. questions!
Save

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c104021/New-York-City:New-York:Sightseeing.In.Cold.Weather.html

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11,793 posts
18 reviews
137 helpful votes
3. Re: Possible Dec trip with my teen.. questions!
Save

>>But for ME, because I’ve never stayed in lower east side and always wanted to, I’m debating that also. Specifically hotel Indigo. Any huge differences?<<<

I cannot speak to the hotel indigo specifically. However The LES vibe Specially at night will be vastly different than at the Park Central area which will be more sedate IMO.

I’ve stayed at a Holiday Inn LES on Delancey street and the Ridge hotel on East Houston near the Indigo.

I really love the lower Eastside in the daytime specifically the area between the Delancey Street and East Houston.

I do not like it at night time. I like to stay near my hotel in the evenings, and have a long dinner and drinks. However at night many Intoxicated people on the streets in that area make it very unpleasant. I was so surprised. I have decided not to stay down there anymore, not when I’m on my own.

I opted to go west to Soho or north into the East Village which was easy to do in the evenings. Those areas were much more pleasant without the noticeable drunkenness. Something to consider perhaps as This is my opinion. Others may have had different experiences.

About the weather; Santa Fean here-my advice for a Texan : be prepared. Bring cold weather gear: Waterproof shoes or boots with a tread is must.

For december trips : I wear silk under shirts , silk long johns, hats ,gloves, scarf, boots warm socks and down coat.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
110,557 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
4. Re: Possible Dec trip with my teen.. questions!
Save

If you’re looking for a bonding trip, maybe get your son involved in hotel selection? What does he like? I'm not a big fan of the Park Central although the location is great. Are you aware they charge a $38/day plus tax facilities fee?

https://www.parkcentralny.com/hotel

Read the link in response #2. Biggest cold weather tip is dress in layers.

Edited: 28 October 2021, 04:28
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
5. Re: Possible Dec trip with my teen.. questions!
Save

No- I had no idea about the faculties fee! that could add up!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
110,557 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
6. Re: Possible Dec trip with my teen.. questions!
Save

It does add up! Many hotels charge a daily fee, but that one is high. I assume you also know there,s 15% hotel tax at all hotels.

Newburgh, New York
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Possible Dec trip with my teen.. questions!
Save

You mustn't worry about the weather. One of my daughters visited a friend in Austin last winter just before the freezing storm hit and shut everything down. She was stuck there for days and days. I was amazed at how a simple, extended freeze and a couple of inches of snow could become so dangerous and even life-threatening. Growing up in the Hudson Valley, it never occurred to me that such conditions could be anything more than a mild annoyance. It's most likely that you won't get a significant winter storm when you come, but should one come, know that New York handles those very readily, and you won't be in any danger. It can actually be quite beautiful. Dress warm and in layers, as folks have said, and enjoy something new.

Newburgh, New York
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Possible Dec trip with my teen.. questions!
Save

By the way, I think 13 years old is a great age for a first visit, and he'll have a wonderful time. Have him research the subway system, the museums, like the Museum of Natural History, the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier Museum, the TV shows one can visit, the Statue of Liberty, the observation towers, and anything else that strikes his fancy. By the end, he'll become his own expert and lead you on a merry tour.

United States
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
9. Re: Possible Dec trip with my teen.. questions!
Save

Personally, I have found that in snow the people you can most rely on to clean their sidewalks are the owners of big office buildings,hotels, big apartment buildings, etc. The ones I don't trust are absentee owners of small buildings (or empty lots), often on cross streets. The older I get the more this bothers me, and I have gotten so I know which blocks to avoid. The city is pretty good about clearing the streets. I live in east midtown and we get plowed, and replowed, pretty quickly for the most part, at least on major streets. If it is a huge snowfall they plow first, then cart away the plowed snow from the sides of the avenues and some cross streets. I am sometimes surprised when I venture uptown or downtown to see how much longer the snow seems to linger there.

Major snow is unlikely at the time of your visit.

Edited: 28 October 2021, 17:33
Reply to: Possible Dec trip with my teen.. questions!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.