We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penn Station Area

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
28 reviews
12 helpful votes
Penn Station Area
Save

I am coming to NY later this month and thinking of staying at a hotel near Penn Station. Is this a safe area to stay? W. 35 and 8th Ave.

Single retired male.

11 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,369 posts
49 reviews
32 helpful votes
1. Re: Penn Station Area
Save

It might not be the most glamourous location, but it will be functional and the area is reasonably safe.

I'm sure some locals will ship in with the current state of affairs, but the area will be busy until the late evening and beyond, but there could, like any large city, be people loitering, and begging for money / food etc. As it looks like you're from a big city, then standard street smarts are always needed.

The only hotel I can see there is The New Yorker, which has been around for years, and often mentioned on these forums.

M

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,369 posts
49 reviews
32 helpful votes
2. Re: Penn Station Area
Save

Oh, I zoomed into google maps, and there is the Even and the Tryp, which are more modern brands of hotels.

Plenty of places to eat, drink and have fun near the hotel, good links to subways,

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
3. Re: Penn Station Area
Save

It was challenging during covid as a lot of homeless were staying in those hotels close to Penn and Times Square.

Anyhow - most of them moved. The area is functional and ok. Not great - but works for tourists now again

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
10,768 posts
90 reviews
51 helpful votes
4. Re: Penn Station Area
Save

The area is part of the former Garment District where clothing manufacturers occupied tall buildings. There is a certain drabness to the place. There is good transportation in the immediate area and places like the Fifth Ave. retail area are within walking distance. Times Square with its transportation hub is but a single subway stop away.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,959 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Penn Station Area
Save

Safe? Absolutely. The most "exciting" location? Not really.

There are some very good members on TA who can help with hotel selections based on your budget/dates and plans. Once you are near to a subway station, you can pretty m much get anywhere in the city.

If you list your budget in USD and dates, you will get some suggestions.

Level Contributor
871 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Penn Station Area
Save

Whenever I arrive by train, my immediate instinct is to get out of that area ASAP. Not because I feel unsafe but it is part of Manhattan that I just don't like at all. Too many people, not much exciting to see or do. But, everyone is different.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
28 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: Penn Station Area
Save

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have been looking at Tryp hotel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
110,622 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
8. Re: Penn Station Area
Save

The Tryp is ok, especially if you have a large family since they have good sized family rooms. Otherwise I would opt to stay elsewhere in a more attractive area. Why did you pick it?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
16,494 posts
33 reviews
26 helpful votes
9. Re: Penn Station Area
Save

The Tryp can be very budget friendly for families, I have stayed da few times in their family suites. But as @NYWhiz asks, why stay there when other areas are much nicer?

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
314 posts
40 reviews
22 helpful votes
10. Re: Penn Station Area
Save

I've stayed at Tryp in that area and really like the hotel. Bigger rooms. I also like that it is close to all kinds of transportation. Major subway lines are a few blocks away. I don't think the area is that bad. More exciting ? Not sure what that means.

Reply to: Penn Station Area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.