We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Memorial Day

Hi everyone

We are coming to Boston on May 23rd and we have just realised that this is Memorial Day wekend in the States. Coming from England we don't really know what this means. Does everything (shops etc) shut down for the day? I understand from looking around that there are plenty of events on that weekend, but any information about what usually happens in Boston on this weekend will just help as plan a bit more!

Many thanks

Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,106 Reviews
from US$44.05*
Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
683 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
602 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
1. Re: Memorial Day

Hi, Claire

No need to worry. Memorial Day weekend is the kickoff to our summer season, and thus, that is why you see plenty of events planned. We observe the holiday on Monday, in which most of us have the day off from work to make it a 3 day weekend. The only thing that will be closed on Monday will be banks, liquor stores and government offices like courthouses and mail services. The T will be running on a holiday schedule. Saturday and Sunday are business as usual, so there's really nothing to worry about. It's a great weekend to visit Boston, so have a great time. :-)

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Memorial Day

Here's an official meaning of Memorial Day and what it's supposed to be about:

www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

Memorial Day is usually on the last Monday in May. It's a federal holiday, so government buildings will be closed. A lot of stores stay open these days (even though they probably shouldn't) Most of the stores around New England are closed but there are a few open having "Memorial Day sales", it's a way for them to make a few extra bucks by drawing in the people who are off by offering sale prices.

Most people spend it with their families and friends, having cookouts, going to games and/or sporting events. It's the start of summer for a lot of us, even though it's still a little early to be actually on the beach, some years celebrating it, it's nicer, as far as the weather is concerned than other years. With my family we go with my mother to the Memorial Day ceremony at the graveyard for the Veterans held every year. Each town around New England usually has a ceremony where they lay wreaths & have speakers from the military commemorating the war veterans from each battle/war.

You should still plan on visiting just the same, it's the start of summer and the weather should be pretty nice from then on....

Have a great time!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,801 posts
1 review
3. Re: Memorial Day

While many stores used to close on the Monday Holiday itself, I think you'll find most everything open now, although their store hours may differ.

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Memorial Day

Thanks for the help everyone. It sounds like a lovely holiday and a great time to visit. I can't wait to get there!

5. Re: Memorial Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 04:19