We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Advice

Hornbeck, Louisiana
Level Contributor
22 posts
145 reviews
49 helpful votes
Trip Advice
Save

We are coming Oct 15-23 and will be touring the entire area. We are staying in Rockport for two nights before turning in our rental and staying in the city. We will have already toured the entire Cape Ann area and I was looking at either going to Concord for Walden Pond, Orchard House OR driving down to Plymouth to see Plymouth Rock before going back into the city. We turn in our rental at 6:00pm. Advice or other recommendations for that open day?

10 replies to this topic
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
32,096 posts
64 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip Advice
Save

Plymouth Rock is routinely voted the most underwhelming tourist attraction around. You really do not want to go to Plymouth just for the silly rock.

However .... am the Mayflower Replica and Plymouth Pawtuxet (fka Plymouth Plantation) are worthwhile sites to visit.

That said ... at this time of year I would choose Concord for the foliage. Walden Pond, the National Park site and Irchard House are also worthwhile. But, that's my preference.

https://www.masslive.com/news/boston/2017/12/plymouth_rock_listed_on_roundu.html

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
8,609 posts
124 reviews
203 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip Advice
Save

There is more in teh COncord/Lexington ara than Walden Pond. Louisa May Alcott's Orchard House, the Poet's Corner, Colonial Inn and the Old North Bridge and assocaietd revolutonary site in Lexington. The Natl Park Service des a nice job there at Minuteman NAtl PArk. There are a number of historic houses to visit also.

Concord, MA
Level Contributor
240 posts
29 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Trip Advice
Save

Orchard House has reopened after being closed for Covid. However, reservations to tour the house are now recommended. The Concord Museum recently completed an extensive $15 M renovation and is worth a visit. The foliage in Concord should be nice that week (it’s starting to be colorful). Minuteman National Park is fun to explore as well. So I world recommend a stop in Concord during your visit.

Boston...
Level Contributor
9,950 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Trip Advice
Save

I'd say Plymouth (for other stuff not the rock) or Concord is a coin flip ordinarily.

But in late October with foliage and given that you will have just been to several nice coastal towns on the North Shore you'd probably get more out of Concord under these circumstances.

And if you can't decide you may as well go with the option that has the least driving. The drive to either will be pretty boring not part of the fun.

Edited: 12 October 2021, 12:27
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,717 posts
61 reviews
27 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip Advice
Save

The rock is a snooze. I'd vote for Concord and Lexington.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
7,068 posts
65 reviews
58 helpful votes
6. Re: Trip Advice
Save

If you go to Plymouth, don't just go for the Rock. Plimouth Plantation is fascinating and the Mayflower II as well as walking around the town harborfront.

Otherwise, I'd say Minuteman National Historic Park in Concord/Lexington is a really good choice on a lovely fall day. Loads to see, history, etc, and very pretty walking around there.

https://www.nps.gov/mima/index.htm

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
91 reviews
54 helpful votes
7. Re: Trip Advice
Save

Definitely my vote goes to Concord/ Lexington over Plymouth, since you will already have had a coastal experience on Cape Ann, and honestly it is easier to get to. If you are up for it, walk a portion of the Battle Road in Minuteman National Park. The foliage should be pretty glorious in Concord this week.

Hornbeck, Louisiana
Level Contributor
22 posts
145 reviews
49 helpful votes
8. Re: Trip Advice
Save

Thank you ALL, you've helped me make my decision. Lexington and Concord it is!!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,860 posts
84 reviews
31 helpful votes
9. Re: Trip Advice
Save

Good choice although Plymouth is a nice spot. Visitors aren't told that that the "rock" is literally just a rock in ta pit, surrounded by a fence and it's just symbolic. I heard years ago (grew up in that general area) that the real area where the Pilgrims landed was further out than the location of the foolish rock so it has no real meaning. But again, it's a decent area for visiting for history buffs anyway.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,860 posts
84 reviews
31 helpful votes
10. Re: Trip Advice
Save

Sorry, a pit, not ta pit, typo!

Reply to: Trip Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Boston
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.