We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day 2016 weekend - where to go?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
84 reviews
89 helpful votes
Memorial Day 2016 weekend - where to go?

My partner and I are flying from Auckland to SFO next year, on the 19th of May. We're planning to spend a couple of months in the US.

I understand that Memorial Day is the last Monday of May (the 30th) and it's a pretty busy weekend for travel, so we're kind of planning our first couple of weeks of travel around that.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for places to go that weekend (not necessarily restricted to SF and immediate surrounds)? We'd like to attend a parade on the day itself. Otherwise, we love culture/history stuff, nature/scenery, wine, city life, touristy things... in fact we enjoy most things, we just aren't so fussed on beaches.

We would prefer to hopefully keep costs reasonable since this is the first leg of our trip (though we accept that costs will be high anywhere on a three day weekend), and avoid traffic as much as we can (presumably by not travelling anywhere from the Friday-Monday?).

One option we're considering is maybe heading to Yosemite a couple of days after we arrive, staying 3-4 nights (and yep I know we need to book accommodation for Yosemite asap), then heading back to San Francisco on the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend and staying there till the Tuesday after.

Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated, thank you. :)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,612 posts
6 reviews
30 helpful votes
1. Re: Memorial Day 2016 weekend - where to go?

Memorial Day in California is a three day holiday. That is about all. No parades or celebrations. Its purpose, as I remember, is to commemorate those who died in WW1.

However, it does mean that lots and lots of people will be taking advantage of the extra day off work to travel and hotels rooms will be scarce, with inflated rates.

Your dates for Yosemite will probably be OK, but be sure to make reservations WAY ahead of time, and I do mean WAY ahead of time.

As for the Memorial Day weekend, you may be OK being in San Francisco, but, again, make your reservations WAY ahead of time.

And, you do not want to be on the road that weekend, probably, if you can avoid it.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,681 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Memorial Day 2016 weekend - where to go?

Agree with Puter. Memorial Day weekend is a good time to visit SF, as much of the city clears out. It's the places outside of town that get crowded.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
84 reviews
89 helpful votes
3. Re: Memorial Day 2016 weekend - where to go?

Thanks guys, that is helpful information. We will definitely look to book this leg of our trip asap (hopefully this weekend). Sounds like our plan of coming back to SF will work out well.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
60,960 posts
149 reviews
122 helpful votes
4. Re: Memorial Day 2016 weekend - where to go?

Just stay the night close to SFO or say in Livermore when you arrive so you are not driving too long after a long flight

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
22,711 posts
79 reviews
50 helpful votes
5. Re: Memorial Day 2016 weekend - where to go?

I think belomiser is suggesting staying at the airport or in Livermore on the assumption that you will be immediately driving toward Yosemite on arrival.

It sounded to me like you were planning on spending a few days in SF on arrival, then heading to the park.

BUT, your exact itinerary is going to be dictated by your Yosemite accommodations, so book those first and you can work the rest around it.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
25 reviews
118 helpful votes
6. Re: Memorial Day 2016 weekend - where to go?

Not exactly a parade but there are Memorial Day commemorative events in the Presidio. Here's what was on tap this year: …funcheap.com/memorial-day-commemoration-pre…

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
84 reviews
89 helpful votes
7. Re: Memorial Day 2016 weekend - where to go?

Correct, we are planning to spend 3 nights in SF before heading to Yosemite for 4 nights... all booked now. Want some time to recover after our ~13 hour flight before we try out driving on the right side of the road (which to us is the wrong side...).

And then we will come back to SF. Thanks for the advice, all!

Edited: 01 October 2015, 18:26
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
60,960 posts
149 reviews
122 helpful votes
8. Re: Memorial Day 2016 weekend - where to go?

I presume you will start in SF and do YNP and other parts of Ca before heading back to SF

Edited: 01 October 2015, 22:58
9. Re: Memorial Day 2016 weekend - where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2016, 17:17