We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SFO to resort near FIsherman's Wharf - transportation for 3?

Ottawa, ON, Canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
10 helpful votes
SFO to resort near FIsherman's Wharf - transportation for 3?
Save

I am staying at the Marriott Pulse resort - 3 blocks from Fisherman's Wharf. Lots of checked baggage - so BART/local rapid transit not an option (when we arrive at the airport tomorrow Oct 9).

It costs $60 per night parking at this resort.

The 3 of us plan to see relatives in Silicon Valley and in San Jose on Sunday - so at least that day we will rent a car. So maybe we should rent a car (around noon tomorrow, pay one night parking rate, and then return the car to a car rental location near Fisherman's Wharf on Sunday night

What is the one way taxi rate ?

Uber/Lyft (do they pick up passengers at SFO - if yes, do they have their own stand) one way rate?

One way airport shuttle rate?

One way car rental rate- I plan to use costco discounts- I am not sure I would use autoslash as it does not access the major car rental companies? priceline is opaque?

11 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
38,308 posts
1. Re: SFO to resort near FIsherman's Wharf - transportation for 3?
Save

No different than any other city Rideshare or taxi

Ride share will be $30-$50

Taxi around $60-$70

Edited: 09 October 2021, 13:59
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
31,698 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: SFO to resort near FIsherman's Wharf - transportation for 3?
Save

Tomorrow traffic around Fisherman's Wharf will be insane. Fleet Week is in town, and most of the activities will be around the bay front. And there is a playoff baseball game in the evening.

My suggestion is not to rent a car until Sunday when you need it. Rent it from a location in town. There is a Budget and an Avis near Fisherman's Wharf (listed on Costco). You may have to return the car on Monday as these offices may not open that late on Sunday evenings.

Edited: 09 October 2021, 15:23
San Diego...
Level Contributor
16,081 posts
344 reviews
99 helpful votes
3. Re: SFO to resort near FIsherman's Wharf - transportation for 3?
Save

Your hotel is not a resort.

Level Contributor
12,837 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: SFO to resort near FIsherman's Wharf - transportation for 3?
Save

You arrive Sunday? Unless it’s late at night, traffic is going to be a mess around the Wharf because of Fleet Week.

I imagine rideshares could be in surge pricing and a cab meter will tick a lot as you’re stuck in traffic.

I never take my car out this weekend unless I know I’ll be returning between 3 and 4 as that’s when the Blue Angels fly and about the only time people stop moving their cars.

Good luck.

Edited: 10 October 2021, 04:32
San Diego...
Level Contributor
16,081 posts
344 reviews
99 helpful votes
5. Re: SFO to resort near FIsherman's Wharf - transportation for 3?
Save

I think they are arriving today….Saturday….still not great for that part of San Francisco. At least, no Warriors game complicating things more. Go, Giants.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
38,308 posts
6. Re: SFO to resort near FIsherman's Wharf - transportation for 3?
Save

They arrive today,

Right now at 909am on Sat Uber from SFO to the Pulse is $32.98, showing about a 27 minute ride so if they arrived this morning traffic no issue.

Edited: 10 October 2021, 05:12
Level Contributor
12,837 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: SFO to resort near FIsherman's Wharf - transportation for 3?
Save

The OP is a little confusing. But I think they arrive today and go to SV tomorrow. Depending on how much “lots” of baggage is, it sounds likely they’ll need larger than the normal Uber.

Too late to change this now but would’ve been better to just stay at the airport tonight then check into SF hotel tomorrow evening.

OP is traveling from Ottawa, hopefully the time difference works in their favor and they arrive as early as possible.

Edited: 10 October 2021, 05:34
San Diego...
Level Contributor
16,081 posts
344 reviews
99 helpful votes
8. Re: SFO to resort near FIsherman's Wharf - transportation for 3?
Save

Just as important as the baggage is the 84 year old mobility challenged member of the party. That latter factor ruled out public transportation to and within San Francisco and its environs. OP is a nickel and dime advice seeker, not putting in info except in dribs and drabs.

Edited: 10 October 2021, 05:48
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
35 reviews
23 helpful votes
9. Re: SFO to resort near FIsherman's Wharf - transportation for 3?
Save

Yes, the info is a bit confusing and not really complete. If you're renting the car today anyway and paying for overnight parking tonight, then why not take it from the airport to FW rather than paying for a $30 ride share for that ride in addition?

We don't know what all different car rental agencies will charge for different things like one way drop offs (airport to FW), so I'm afraid it may be something you need to ask or check on their web sites.

If you're asking about Uber costs from FW to San Jose, the app is good at giving estimates and shows me between $80 and $130, one direction, depending on type of vehicle. So at least $160 for a round trip to SJC and back on Uber on Sunday, maybe $200 or $250.

So if you're looking primarily at price then you should be able to get an estimate from rental car sites plus add a night or two at $60 each for parking to the mix, depending on plans. See what number is smaller.

If you want to reduce that number, you might be able to do Uber to Caltrain and then Caltrain, but that has its own issues with less flexible schedule and rides to/from Caltrain on both ends.

There is also convenience--maybe an Uber is more convenient than renting a car. However there may well be some Uber drivers that will not want to do that trip to San Jose since it's 40 miles long and might be out of the way, especially if they need to do a long unpaid trip to get back to their home base after. Probably you'll find someone who will take the trip, though.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
38,308 posts
10. Re: SFO to resort near FIsherman's Wharf - transportation for 3?
Save

>>However there may well be some Uber drivers that will not want to do that trip to San Jose since it's 40 miles long and might be out of the way, especially if they need to do a long unpaid trip to get back to their home base after. Probably you'll find someone who will take the trip, though.<<

Drivers are alerted to a ride that is I think 45 minutes or longer, it wont be an issue getting an Uber to SJ from SF. Drivers welcome it if they have the time, if they dont then they wont accept but someone will.

I took Uber to/from Stanford for the football game last weekend from The City and both ways had a driver accepted within seconds.

>>If you're asking about Uber costs from FW to San Jose, the app is good at giving estimates and shows me between $80 and $130, one direction, depending on type of vehicle. <<

Rather than estimates I prefer to use real time and enter the start/end in and see what the price is right now like I did above. Yes its only for right this minute but it gives me the real cost right this minute which is a good gauge.

Right now to the Pulse from the Airport is still only $37.42 and showing 40 minutes up from 27 minutes earlier so still not bad.

Reply to: SFO to resort near FIsherman's Wharf - transportation for 3?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Francisco
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.