We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Spiez or scenic Thun?

Israel
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
1,600 reviews
7,762 helpful votes
Scenic Spiez or scenic Thun?

As part of my hiking adventures, I’ll have several days of passing through Spiez. I thought that in the late afternoon/early evening, I could walk/wander around the city and lakeshore.

My goal is purely scenic- which in s better and easier for that from the train- Spiez or very nearby Thun?... it seems that neither is particularly lakeside, which would probably be one of my goals....

... and I will also be visiting the areas around Bern train station too.

7 replies to this topic
Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
70,441 posts
263 reviews
385 helpful votes
1. Re: Scenic Spiez or scenic Thun?

Neither Spiez nor Thun are cities. They are towns - a lot smaller.

Spiez is most definitely "lakeside" - it has the prettiest harbour on the entire lake. However the station is up on the hillside and it will take you 15-20mns to walk down to the lake.

Thun has a part of the town which is on the lake but the station is right on the canal that comes from the river Aar - the lakeboats leave from there. You can walk along the river to the lake or take the other direction and walk through the town to the sluices on the river which are a great sight. All this part of Thun is on the flat. The Schloss - which is magnificent - is a slight walk uphill either via the streets of the town or via a long (very long!) flight of stairs.

Israel
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
1,600 reviews
7,762 helpful votes
2. Re: Scenic Spiez or scenic Thun?

Thanks for the information- maybe I’ll visit both...

... if I wanted to visit the Spiez lakeshore and I’m after one of my hikes above Kandersteg or Adelboden and I want to take public transit to the lakeshore late afternoon/early evening, what bus should I take from the train station or where on the lakeshore should I direct my Google transportation search?

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
70,441 posts
263 reviews
385 helpful votes
3. Re: Scenic Spiez or scenic Thun?

I have never taken a bus from the station to the harbour but you can get all this information on the SBB site. For the harbour enter “Spiez See”. It really isn’t much of a walk.

Southport, United...
Destination Expert
for Southport
Level Contributor
4,253 posts
4. Re: Scenic Spiez or scenic Thun?

I seem to remember it was a “road train” that went from the station to the lake. Depending on when you expect to arrive I’d just walk down to the lake. Again depending on the time and the timetabling you could walk down to the lake and get the boat to Interlaken West and the; onwards by train.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
70,441 posts
263 reviews
385 helpful votes
5. Re: Scenic Spiez or scenic Thun?

“road train” Marmot?? You mean one of those tourist things that take you around the sights? Might well be one but there is also a real bus service to the pier in summer. (Doesn’t run or didn’t use to run in winter)

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
70,441 posts
263 reviews
385 helpful votes
6. Re: Scenic Spiez or scenic Thun?

I checked again on the SBB site and am wondering if this bus has been discontinued because it is such an easy walk from the station to the boat pier. All I see are connections via train to Thun and then boat back to Spiez which makes no sense at all.

Probably best to check with the Spiez Tourist Office because if it is one of those tourist trains that Marmot remembers they will know about it.

Durham
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Scenic Spiez or scenic Thun?

If you want a lakeshore walk, you may be interested in the "Strandweg" between Spiez and Faulensee, which is the next town along the shore to the south. 2.5 km flat, wide path.

Public transportation options if you only want to walk one way: There is a bus between the Spiez train station and Faulensee (10 minutes). Or from Faulensee, the ferry goes to Spiez or Merligen.

Reply to: Scenic Spiez or scenic Thun?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Spiez
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.