We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spiez & Aeschi b. Spiez as a base

Hucknall, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
145 reviews
65 helpful votes
Spiez & Aeschi b. Spiez as a base

Hi everyone!

We're in the beginning stages of planning a week-long trip to Switzerland in February, and are reliant on public transport, and flying into and out of Milan Bergamo.

My initial thoughts are as follows:

Night 1: stay in Milan (as our flight gets into really late)

Nights 2-4: travel by train to Aeschi b. Spiez and stay at Bergblick

Nights 5-6: stay in Zermatt

Night 7: stay in Milan before flight home the next day

I was looking at Interlaken as a base for the 3 nights but truth be told I have kinda fallen in love with Bergblick as an accommodation but with it being out of the way I am not sure if that would be a bit insane really.

The property only has 5 reviews on TripAdvisor and most of those seem to have driven there, but I found one review on Expedia which says it's right next to the bus stop. Looking at Google it looks like it's about 20 minutes from Spiez Bahnhof on the bus (seems to run every half hour), with Spiez being about 20 minutes from Interlaken by train. It doesn't sound too complicated but I don't want to be totally naïve about it all.

In all honesty, we don't know much about Switzerland and thought Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen looked pretty place which would be worth a visit, so the biggest journey would be Bergblick>Spiez>Interlaken>Lauterbrunnen and back, which I guess would be an hour and a half to 2hrs in each direction depending on timings.

What we like about the accommodation is the possibility to sit in on a cosy evening with a bottle of wine and wake up to a beautiful view, it sounds a nice place to unwind. We might like to go to a restaurant in Spiez at night and to be able to get out and about during the day. But if, realistically, it's difficult without your own transport then we could just as easily get a hotel in Spiez or Interlaken as a base for our time there.

We would also be travelling in February so daylight would be limited, therefore the pretty view from the chalet may only be glimpsed a couple of times! 😂

Any thoughts, guys?

Zug, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,693 posts
25 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: Spiez & Aeschi b. Spiez as a base

Milan Bergamo is not that close to Milan, it's an hour drive with low traffic. The airport is in Bergamo, which is a beautiful town and you should rather stay there instead of proceeding to Milan.

Edited: 4 years ago
Hucknall, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
145 reviews
65 helpful votes
2. Re: Spiez & Aeschi b. Spiez as a base

Thanks, Roland! That's not even what I was asking about but that is such a great help! We'll see Milan before we go home but yes, it makes good sense to stay in Bergamo the first night instead of going all the way to Milan.

Edited: 4 years ago
Zug, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,693 posts
25 reviews
20 helpful votes
3. Re: Spiez & Aeschi b. Spiez as a base

I had some business partners over in spring and since the only flight available was to Bergamo (I wanted to meet them actually in Milan), we met in Bergamo to save time. And we absolutely loved it! The city is rather unknown as everyone goes to Milan.

I will get back regarding Aeschi.

4. Re: Spiez & Aeschi b. Spiez as a base

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Spiez
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.