We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Gypsy's with Roses.

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beware Gypsy's with Roses.

Beware the Gypsy's with the roses on the way to the beach they asked for change. I took all the change in my wallet out (85 cent) and they said "no no" put her finger in my coin department of my wallet and poked around then I pulled my wallet back and checked my notes were gone so grabbed her and said "Money" she then turned round and through my cash on the ground and picked it up. Lucky I'm a constant sceptic or she could have been off with about €200.

PS the Police don't want to know.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware Gypsy's with Roses.

Just completely blank them out, don't even make eye contact and they will leave you alone.

There is always plenty of them around Palma Cathedral waiting to prey on unsuspecting tourists and cruise passengers.

Keep you hand on your wallet and ladies, keep you handbags zipped or buttoned up.

Just in case you think I am a 'know it all' my wife and I were robbed at the Airport and at Ikea.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware Gypsy's with Roses.

I will look in my crystal ball and see them coming

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
23,532 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware Gypsy's with Roses.

Why would you even be getting your wallet out in front of someone like this anyway?

London, England
Level Contributor
9,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware Gypsy's with Roses.

Must be the oldest trick in Spain. Been around since the first days of mass tourism.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware Gypsy's with Roses.

This trick was around in 1967!

Cala d'Or, Spain
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware Gypsy's with Roses.

Joking apart they are quite intimidating,

We were approached at the entrance to Cala Gran beach this week by one of them and I knew what to expect which was others with her.

I turned around to find two other ladies right behind us clearly heading for my back pack.

After shouting," go away you nasty flower sellers" they left us alone, think that's what I shouted, could have been !!!!! Off.

But I could see how easy it would be to get your bag rifled.

So if your are visiting not just Cala D,or but other busy places then beware of them.

28SAC

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware Gypsy's with Roses.

A girl I worked in the '70's actually let a 'flower seller' take money out of her purse because she was confused with Pesetas.

Of course she was robbed.

That was near Palma Cathedral.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware Gypsy's with Roses.

We were approached near the entrance to Cala Gran, we said no and walked off. We weren't aware of the robbery scam!

9. Re: Beware Gypsy's with Roses.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2016, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Cala d'Or