We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rui Palace

london
Level Contributor
782 posts
57 reviews
105 helpful votes
Rui Palace

Hi,

We are booked for August but were concerned about how busy it would be with children. If anyone has been there during school holidays I'd be interested to know if it was very busy with families.

We have just returned from the Suite Princess which was very busy at Easter due to the fact that people are not flying to Egypt with Thomsons. and not so many to Turkey.It was very busy at meal times with people often having to queue for dinner. Is this the case with the Rui Palace ?

Are you allocated a table for the duration of your stay? Our last experience of a Rui was a bit like a canteen with the tables very close together or have they changed this?

Still unsure whether to change our booking or not.

Any views/advice welcomed.

Thanks,

Leo

11 replies to this topic
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
85 reviews
144 helpful votes
1. Re: Rui Palace

I can answer some of your concerns. Regarding children, it is not likely to have lots of children at the Hotel, it is not really geared up for children although has a child's pool. Madeira is not a location like Spanish and other destinations as much as there are not huge complexes which cater for families. Madeira does not have a great amount for children and not all hotels have child facilities. Most families tend to use Funchal and surrounding area if they bring children, but the Island does not huge amounts of families although there will be some on the Island during July/August which is the holiday time for French and Portugese.

Caniço also does not have a golden beach, only two are at Machico and Calheta, which is something which attracts children.

Busy mealtimes will vary from Hotel to Hotel, my experience of Riu Palace is a very good organisation and the reviews confirm that. This link has many good reviews so I would read through them and I think it will help. Just click on the link for reading. There is also a Q&A facility on the bar on the home page so you can sask anything and it should be answered.

https:/…Hotel_Review-g580258-d288682

london
Level Contributor
782 posts
57 reviews
105 helpful votes
2. Re: Rui Palace

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. It sounds reassuring.

I'll have a look at the link to glean some more info. We've heard good reports of the beauty of the island but were worried our holiday may not have been as restful as we hoped.

Many thanks again,

Leo

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Rui Palace

Hello Leo

I agree with Flowercity. The Riu Palace is unlikely to be overrun with children, even in August. I've stayed there 3 times (admittedly in winter) and only recall ever seeing one or two children. Yes it does have a small children's pool and a couple of swings but there is no children's club. Also bear in mind that Canico is 20 minutes or so outside Funchal, which is not to everybody's liking. Some families will prefer to be more centrally located.

Regarding meal times, it's an extremely well run hotel and I don't think you will have a problem. I haven't visited for three years but you were always allocated a table and you retained the table for your evening meal (unless of course you were unhappy in which case they found you another one). Breakfast was always sit anywhere.

The Riu Palace is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Personally I wouldn't change your plans.

Durham
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
9 reviews
22 helpful votes
4. Re: Rui Palace

Breakfast on the outside terrace overlooking the sea is a very pleasant experience. There's also a second evening restaurant serving traditional meat dishes that you can book without charge.

london
Level Contributor
782 posts
57 reviews
105 helpful votes
5. Re: Rui Palace

Hi Steve T,apt22 & Flowercity,

Thank you for your views

. I think we'll stay with our plans for Maderia as we've not visited the island.

As I work with fifty two 3 & 4 year olds everyday I enjoy a break on holiday! I think at the time of booking we were thinking of the adult only Rui Monica which we'd looked at for an October /May holiday.

We had started to go adult only for hotels as not all parents are considerate of others unfortunately.

However I must admit that we found the staff excellent at the previous Rui and very helpful.

Thanks again,it is appreciated,

Leo

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Rui Palace

We've stayed in this hotel twice in August although the last time was 4 years ago. We were with our daughter who was 8 at the time. It suited us fine as we didn't want a hotel full of children and loud games etc. There was about 8 children in total, all seemed well behaved.lovely quiet hotel even in August. However this was before all inclusive so perhaps more families may be encouraged to visit??

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
85 reviews
144 helpful votes
7. Re: Rui Palace

I'm not sure more families will be wanting to go away from the City and Lido area as the hotels in these areas are much better geared up for children. Only recent years have we seen young children and Madeira is not too geared up for them in the way of activities, and lack of beaches.

london
Level Contributor
782 posts
57 reviews
105 helpful votes
8. Re: Rui Palace

Hi Helsforhols &flowercity,

I hope that now it's all inclusive it will be a case that it's not too busy and families with children will be looking for a quiet break like us!

I might add we had 3 boys under four years so we are child friendly!! We have just found that at times some parents abdicate their responsibility at the cost of others enjoyment.

We're definitely sticking with our plans now and look forward to exploring Maderia.

Regards,

Leo

Kincardine, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
7 reviews
18 helpful votes
9. Re: Rui Palace

We have just returned from a most enjoyable week at this hotel and I have to say that it was one of the best hotels I have stayed at as a package holiday. The staff were extremely courteous and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

I never even noticed any children while there although my wife assured there were a couple. Definitely geared up to the older generation but the last time I stayed in Funchal it seemed like an "older persons" resort. Not like the Canaries but perhaps that is down to the few sandy beaches.

I would have no hesitation recommending the Riu Palace.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
119 reviews
234 helpful votes
10. Re: Rui Palace

We stay in the hotel next door every year (Four Views Oasis} mid September and see very few children except for the locals so you should be fine.

Reply to: Rui Palace
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canico
Recent Conversations