We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Town Spring

Pembrokeshire...
Level Contributor
258 posts
20 reviews
Old Town Spring

We're thinking of going to Spring today for the first time (jsut a daytrip). Is there much to see and do? I hear there are lots of antique shops and restaurants?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Old Town Spring

Old Town Spring is fun to wander about in. So is the new Market Street center up in the Woodlands area.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,808 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: Old Town Spring

We were just there two weeks ago. Old town Spring has lots of botique shops - new cute stuff. There's a large antique mall about a mile on the other side of 45. Things start shutting down around four or so. We stayed in the Woodlands (Marriott) and visited the mall and the Market Street. Nice stores but nothing you can't find in any city. We had a nice meal at Babins.

Pembrokeshire...
Level Contributor
258 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Old Town Spring

I don't want to offend anyone but....what a load of rubbish there is in that huge antique centre! Maybe this is European snobbery but you would sell that stuff maybe in a garage sale in the UK not in an antique shop. Alot of reproduction and the whole place felt dirty...I was looking for places that might be nice to take my parents when they visit...won't go back there! We did eat in Wunsche Bros in Spring which was ok, good burgers and there was also a very pleasant gift/homewares store called Maggies. We also stopped into the Museum, the ladies who volunteered there were sweet but really..not much to see.

My Husband would quite like to live in the Woodlands but I'm refusing to relocate to the suburbs! It's a nice area to stroll around, well-landscaped, but pretty generic in terms of shopping and restaurants.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,808 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Old Town Spring

Emmab, you antique snob, you! :) Just kidding!

One man's junk is another's treasure. To me it's simply a matter of finding a shop that's going to carry the type of items you're interested in. I don't have any interest in (nor can I afford) the beautiful furniture, vases, etc.. that you're alluding to, it sounds like you have no use for the kitschy 50-year old stuff that I crave. When we are looking for places to shop the only descriptor we have to go by is "Antiques" so consequently we end up having to find our stuff by trial and error.

My absolute favorite are pinbackbuttons, you know like political buttons, but I prefer advertising. Got any good leads in Houston??

Here in San Antonio I'd suggest Artisans' Alley, Napoleon Antiques, or Center for Antiques for the type you describe.

Pembrokeshire...
Level Contributor
258 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Old Town Spring

No I love kitsch too! One thing I did enjoy looking at in Spring was the bar and brewery memorabilia.

In Houston, we often go to the shops in the Montrose area of Westheimer Road on a Sunday.

There is one store that only sells cocktail bars..you know the ones where you open the door, lights come on and all the glasses slide forward on hinged shelves...very cool but probably not so easy to ship if we got relocated!

I ahven't ever noticed pins but I'd look out next time I'm there and report back if I see anything of interest!

Houston
2 posts
6. Re: Old Town Spring

emmab,you must remember. America isn't as old as some European countries so we are going to have different things and tastes than you. And if you look closely at everything in the antique malls,you might find something you haven't seen before. Is your goal to have the oldest thing you can find or something you actually like for your own collection? I go to those antique stores practically on a weekly basis because it allows me to see things that they just don't make anymore. That's the fun part of it for me. And if you noticed,that mall is run by vendors and elderly that make a living at it. Not all of them are elderly,but they enjoy what they do and I appreciate their efforts. Sorry,but I thought your overall comment to be insulting.

Spring, TX
1 post
7. Re: Old Town Spring

To each his own, as they say. I live in Spring and enjoy going to Old Town Spring, whether to shop or just stroll and people watch. I was there today to pick up a stained glass window which was repaired at Cousin's Stained Glass. There are many shops that are unique to "OTS" and I enjoy walking from shop to shop in an old town atmosphere. Historically, "OTS" was settled by the Wunche brothers. The restaurant/bar is supposedly haunted by a ghost that appears in the upstairs window and lights go off and on. During various holidays there are special celebrations in the town such as the "Crawfish Festival" and at Christmas the store fronts are tastefully decorated for the season. On weekends Christmas carollers from nearby schools sing in the town center. Also, if you are from the U.K. (or not) there is a British Restaurant that serves lunch as well as high tea in the afternoon. I like living in Spring as it offers the benefits of living in the country, so to speak, but is very accessible to the shopping and restaurants on FM1960 and The Woodlands. Downtown Houston is a :35 drive down I-45 and IAH is about :20 away. We live in the Klein School District which is rated very highly ( school taxes prove it). Best of all, I like the neighborhood feeling that I get when going to the post office or other establishments where I am known by name and customers are greeted with a smile. And no, I am not on the board of the Spring Chamber of Commerce.........

Houston
2 posts
8. Re: Old Town Spring

Speaking of the history of Old Towne Spring,did you also know that Bonnie and Clyde drove through there and held up one of their banks? The building that was once Maggies had bullet holes in the bricks on the outside of the building until someone patched them up and painted over them.

Get answers to your questions about Spring
Recent Conversations