We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware - Scam in electronic shops in Playa de las Americas

Northern Ireland
3 posts
2 reviews
Beware - Scam in electronic shops in Playa de las Americas

Just a warning to tourists about a scam surrounding the sale of Electronics. We were in Tenerife a couple of weeks ago and stopped to look in an Electronics shop. A very respectable looking guy said he would do us a great deal on a Samsung Tablet. We had a look and said we would take one at his price of 56 euros, after asking if it would work alright in the UK. We were told it would.After paying for it, another guy appeared and said he wanted to speak to us about the tablet. He told us it would not work in the UK unless we bought a contract with Vodafone but he could offer us a 2017 model made by Toshiba for extra money. Foolishly we agreed to take this one but subsequently discovered that it was a fake when we showed it to another genuine Electronics salesman in a different shop. He advised us to report this to the Police who said they were aware that this was happening but as the name on the receipt matched the name on the Tablet, they were not actually breaking the law (It did not say Toshiba on the receipt or the Tablet, which we did not notice when we bought it). The Police told us that if the shop had put a different name on the receipt to that on the Tablet, then that was a scam! They suggested we return to the shop and ask for our money back (but would not come with us), but said that if we had a problem, we were to ring them and they would attend. We returned to the shop and after some discussion with the owner, and telling him that we had been to the Police, he agreed to refund the money. We also discovered that they are scamming people into buying cameras as well. So beware if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
9,569 posts
87 reviews
1. Re: Beware - Scam in electronic shops in Playa de las Americas

There are plenty of similar posts already on the forums all over the canaries. Sometimes they will show you a fake Currys website to convince you that you are buying something which is more valuable than it actually is. Sometimes they sell you fakes. DO NOT be tempted to buy electronics from these shops. Do not even stand outside and look in the window. Walk straight past.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Beware - Scam in electronic shops in Playa de las Americas

It's been going on for years, iI came across it back in 1990 on Gran Canary. Wanted to get a Walkman type player for my son. Saw one that interested me in a shop, but the salesman wanted to offer me another. Better quality he said. Then when finalising the sale he said do you want charger with that. He wanted to charge me extra for charger and carry case. I walked out after complaining.

Visiting a second shop I saw a player in the window displayed on its box. Easily read on the box was complete with charger and carry case. I went in to do business. Same thing happened. Do you want charger with that.

I complained and took the guy outside to show him the display model, and what was written on the box.

A heated argument ensued outside then inside, with me accusing him of being a con man. He must have pressed a panic button as about 3 others came from other shops ranting and raving. Being outnumbered I thought it wise to leave.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
3. Re: Beware - Scam in electronic shops in Playa de las Americas

Just walk passed with two fingers up they always get the message

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Beware - Scam in electronic shops in Playa de las Americas

Cant get my head around why people would buy into such obvious scams. When a price is too good to be true then the alarm bells should be splitting your eardrums.

Italy
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
5. Re: Beware - Scam in electronic shops in Playa de las Americas

These days if you have a smartphone install the Amazon app. If you don't know the item being sold (lets be honest most people don't shop for electronics daily) just check the app.

Many of the shops are often showing older products for inflated prices. That means if you're lucky you'll over pay for something out dated.

north west england
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
553 reviews
6. Re: Beware - Scam in electronic shops in Playa de las Americas

The forum must get a thread like this every month.

As the OP points out, whilst there may be some misrepresentation, the shops rarely cross the legal line and break the law. For example, they may sell something that looks like a Toshiba but its labelled "Tashiba". They then rely on the gullibility of customers who think they're getting a great bargain.

Longridge, United...
Level Contributor
490 posts
7. Re: Beware - Scam in electronic shops in Playa de las Americas

I would have thought the very first thing you would do if you were going on holiday to somewhere like Tenerife is to do a bit of research first, to note down the obvious scams and frauds being perpetrated, things to watch out for and so on.

With a bit of common sense you can have a lovely holiday. :-)

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,767 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Beware - Scam in electronic shops in Playa de las Americas

I am afraid that many people leave their common sence at home when they go on holiday.

That is how these type of electronic shops as well as the holiday club / timeshare scams make a lot of money.

Graham

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
1,998 reviews
9. Re: Beware - Scam in electronic shops in Playa de las Americas

God knows how many warnings there has been on this forum about buying anything electrical from these Asian shops..do not stop..do not look in window..and do not speak to them..they have spoilt so many peoples holidays.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Beware - Scam in electronic shops in Playa de las Americas

at the very least pay them in cash with Monopoly money.

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas