We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware women brandishing carnations....

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
173 posts
13 reviews
Beware women brandishing carnations....

Some friends told me this morning that they had been relieved of some money by women in Paloma Park yesterday - they appeared out of nowhere and started pushing carnations at them and asking for money for the 'fiesta' (what fiesta??). Somehow, they managed to get the notes out of my friend's wallet while he was trying to find a couple fo coins for them, which unfortunately he didn't notice had gone until later.

I know it's one of the older scams/fiddles, but I'd just like to make people aware of it, and it may not be just in Paloma Park that it could happen.

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Beware women brandishing carnations....

It's good to make people aware so they can be on their guard. It happens all over Spain/the world. In the UK it's lucky heather, but not so lucky for the people that get robbed :-(

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,317 posts
3,815 reviews
2. Re: Beware women brandishing carnations....

In Malaga they push rosemary and work in a group of three. One is a police lookout, the second talks to the victim and distracts him, and the third is the pickpocket.

I have seen them also in the Retiro Park in Madrid. They are everywhere.

The best strategy is to shout "NO" and quickly walk away.

grimsby lincs
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: Beware women brandishing carnations....

got caught myself in 1996 ,my first visit.I was approached on the paseo by two women trying to give me a carnation and when I tried to offer some coins she said no money no money but i put my hand in my pocket and the wallet i had in the pocket was gone.I snatched at her hands holding the flowers and there was my wallet being deftly opened and the pesetas being removed,i was fortunate because it was early evening and had only had one bottle of san mig so was relatvely compos mentis but it was a close call.I got my wallet back and lost nothing but i felt a fool.I have not seen many if any on later trips but I would steer well clear of them if I saw any.

LANCS
Level Contributor
559 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Beware women brandishing carnations....

We too were a victim of this scam last year. Two old ladies approached us on the paseo and tried to give me some flowers in a posy. I knew it was a scam so I shouted to Mr Teddy" They're after your money!" I ran off and the two women tried to put the flowers in his jean's pocket. Knowing his wallet was in there Mr Teddy tried to stop them but they persisted in trying to push the flowers in his pocket. In the end he had to grab her hand and he bent her fingers back. She screamed and they both scurried off. Now anyone who approaches us with flowers is given wide bearth. We are always vigilant on holiday and if anyone gets too close I am wary. This year in Feungirola there were lots of couples hanging around the bus stop, they just seemed to be watching holiday makers. I never carry a lot of money on me and always have my handbag across my body, even when we are in a cafe or bar.

Teesside
Level Contributor
376 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Beware women brandishing carnations....

In 1973 I was in Llorte with my friend and as we walked from the hotel we were aproached by 2 women selling carnations I quickly said no and moved on thinking my friend would follow,but she had got out her purse to give them some coins and when we got to where we were going she found her notes that were in her purse had gone.The way they were able to remove the notes without the wallet side of her purse being opened was because she had folded the notes in the compartment instead of spreading them along the length of it.So the upshot of this is always say no, but more importantly lay out your notes instead of folding them,because this scam has been going for a long time .

6. Re: Beware women brandishing carnations....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2011, 19:24
Get answers to your questions about Benalmadena