We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balloch - 'Dismantled Railway'

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Balloch - 'Dismantled Railway'

I noticed on OS Maps there appears to be a long gone and dismantled railway line that starts at Balloch and runs East passing just north of Croftamie and appears to head on towards Gartness.

Would like to ask has anyone ever walked this former railway line, is it still possible etc?

10 replies to this topic
Scotland
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Balloch - 'Dismantled Railway'

I don't know it personally but a little digging shows that some of it it (from Croftamie) is now part of National Cycle Network Route 7 (also used as the cycle route of the John Muir Way in this area). As it was not on Stirling's Core Paths map (from 2009) I presume the renovation is pretty recent.

Found a video which includes it, looks pretty nice (some country roads from Balloch to get onto it). Railway path starts around 4:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Cda6ZZP6k

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Balloch - 'Dismantled Railway'

The OS maps have it marked with a brown dotted line so that suggests it's part of some local route - unfortunately I don't know which one. Another part of the line is also brown dotted, and that continues northwards through Aberfoyle. I think bits of the old line are on a cycleway. https:/…route-7

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
3. Re: Balloch - 'Dismantled Railway'

This doesn't have any information on the old railway in question but does give the history of Balloch. disused-stations.org.uk/b/…index.shtml

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,674 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Balloch - 'Dismantled Railway'

It was the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway.

Between Balloch and Stirling with a couple of Branch Lines in between.

Closed to Rail Traffic completely in 1965.

I’m old enough to remember traveling on the “Blue Train” to Balloch, which was known as Balloch Central.

It was on the other side of the road from the current Modern Sungle Platform affair of today.

It consisted of Two Platforms, a substantial Stone Station Masters House (now used as a Tourist Office), a Level Crossing and Signal Box.

The Line continued as Single Track through some Woods for around half a mile terminating at Balloch Pier, where the Maid of the Loch Paddle Steamer is tied up.

I remember riding the train on this short section as well.

Level Contributor
560 posts
1 review
5. Re: Balloch - 'Dismantled Railway'

A short stretch is now a cycle path but a look on Google Earth suggests that most of the line is very overgrown or obliterated by agriculture/houses in several places - So it looks like hard work to me.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
6. Re: Balloch - 'Dismantled Railway'

>where the Maid of the Loch Paddle Steamer is tied up.

Fingers crossed the team working to get the Maid sailing again can pull it off, lots of happy memories as a child watching the shining brass spin round.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Balloch - 'Dismantled Railway'

Thank you all for the replies, I will probably have a wander into the fields next time im up in Balloch and look for the more 'remoter' remnants, thanks again one and all.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
8. Re: Balloch - 'Dismantled Railway'

There is an interesting programme of Friday evening walking old railway lines. Last week it was the Woodhead route and the week before a line in Scotland my the Moray Firth.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
9. Re: Balloch - 'Dismantled Railway'

Tonight channel 5 9pm Dartmoor. The old Southern route.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
10. Re: Balloch - 'Dismantled Railway'

channel5.com/show/…

Reply to: Balloch - 'Dismantled Railway'
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Balloch
Recent Conversations