We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day (6 Oct) in Loch Lomond-Trossachs area

washington dc
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
105 reviews
1 day (6 Oct) in Loch Lomond-Trossachs area

We will be in the area for 1 day (I know it is too short) traveling from North Conel to somewhere near Sterling. We are ready to be on the road by 8-8:30

We are considering the following route: Inverrary castle, Luss village, Duke's pass visitor center, (If good weather, Loch Katrine) o/n near Doune castle

Is this itinerary doable and interesting beg Oct?

What are the best scenic spots?

Are there any short scenic walks we could take?

What would be a good spot for lunch?

Is it worthwhile going all the way to Loch Katrine or should we drive to Doune from Duke's pass?

Thanks

16 replies to this topic
Glasgow
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: 1 day (6 Oct) in Loch Lomond-Trossachs area

Yes,that is an excellent choice of route.

Inveraray and Luss are both good for a short walk.

if weather is not great probably best to forget Duke's Pass and Loch Katrine.If you do go that way Callander has coffee or lunch options.

Barrhead, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: 1 day (6 Oct) in Loch Lomond-Trossachs area

It is a good route. Inverary has its castle and it is a pretty village. Luss too is a nice village and the Coach House does excellent coffees and light meals. The Duke's Pass Visitor Centre is small and you could stretch your legs here for a bit. As regards Loch Katrine, it is a five minute detour and again you could have a short walk here if desired. Callander is a town in nice setting with some decent shops and some well, that are not a great idea. Doune is not too far away from Callander. Best scenic spots are along Loch Etive side next to the road, Kilchurn Castle on the way to Inverary, the Rest and Be Thankful on the way to Arrochar/Luss, Firkin Point on Loch Lomondside and then once over the Duke's Pass you get good views of lochs and hills.

Foodwise, there's Brambles in Inverary which is good, Coach House Coffee Shop in Luss, the tea room at the visitor centre is ok, cakes are nice but not sure what else they do. A couple of places along Loch Venacher are good and Callander has several niceplaces for eating.

washington dc
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
105 reviews
3. Re: 1 day (6 Oct) in Loch Lomond-Trossachs area

Thank you!

Yes we are planning to stop by Kilchurn to see it from outside. Are any good views possible without buying tickets?

We will visit Inverrary castle and garden with tickets

Is Firkin point along A82 between Tarbet and Balloch?

We have booked a flat in Doune for an overnight stay.

If the weather cooperates we will go over Duke's pass and Brig O'Turk and eat in Callander before heading to Doune. Any restaurant recommendations? Not fancy, just good food at a reasonable price.

If we don't have good weather, perhaps we will just go on to Doune and bypass Duke's pass.

I do hope we have good weather but I know Scotland is incredibly beautiful, whatever the weather!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: 1 day (6 Oct) in Loch Lomond-Trossachs area

Firkin Point is between Tarbet and Inverbeg and lets you have a good look at the Loch.

It has a car park and toilets but no food.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,114 posts
530 reviews
5. Re: 1 day (6 Oct) in Loch Lomond-Trossachs area

Lots of good suggestions - it's a great route.

Kilchurn Castle is free to visit though the building itself, a ruin, will be closed from 1 Oct.You can still park and walk to it of course for a closer look around the outside.Worth it, I think. You do get a very iconic view of it with the mountains behind, from the Inveraray road, just after you turn off the A85.You'll see the parking area at the side of the road - there are often photographers here.

The Loch Fyne Oyster bar beyond Inveraray is nice as a stop or to pick up some deli stuff.Not cheap though.

I second/third(?) The Coachhouse in Luss and Firkin Point.

See how you feel time and energy wise once you approach Aberfoyle (before the Duke's Pass).You can also detour to Callander taking the shorter route via the Lake of Mentieth - the hotel there is nice for lunch or coffee and looks out over the water.

If you do go over the Duke's Pass and head for Callander, the Brig o'Turk tea room is very quaint and does nice food and cakes.Further along at Loch Venacher, Venacher Lochside is in a good location and makes for a decent food/coffee stop.

The pretty and beautifully sited Trossachs Kirk, not far beyond the turn off for Loch Katrine in the Callander direction, is worth a look.

I love Loch Katrine, for me it's the loveliest part of the Trossachs and well worth a stroll.Even if you only go for 15 mins or so each way, you'll get wonderful views of rugged Ben Venue overlooking the dark waters.About a 45min brisk walk (each way) plus time to enjoy the spot, will take you out to a nice little headland, Brenachoile Point past the rustling oaks and birches which line the loch shore.It's all on a tarmac Waterboard road used mainly by walkers and cyclists.

The Duke's Pass offers some wonderful views over the gorgeous Trossachs, which I think is at its best in autumn with the leaf colour.Look out for the pull in parking area as you head down the Pass on the right hand side.There is a short few mins walk up to a viewpoint on the left which is worth doing on a decent weather day.

Dun Whinny's in Callander is a good place for simple food and great home-baking.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: 1 day (6 Oct) in Loch Lomond-Trossachs area

The leaves are starting to turn (rather earlier than the last couple of years) and the Dukes Pass in Autumn is spectacular. I'd recommend you go, in all but the worst weather. There is also a (paid) forest drive in that area. Several walks around the visitor centre, or, by Aberfoyle, Doon Hill (Fairy Knowe) is a fairly gentle walk.

If you have the time, and the weather, you might like to also drive out and back to Loch Ard (from Aberfoyle) or Strathyre or Balqhuidder (turn left at Kilnahog, instead of right for Callander). There is also a pub/restaurant at this junction, the Lade Inn.

In Callander, there are also walks around the Callander Crags and to the Bracklinn Falls worth taking.

Details of various walks here https:/…trossachs.shtml

To state the, perhaps, very obvious, don't miss Doune Castle. Worth a visit the next day, but also worth a walk round the outside in the evening. I must admit, I've not done it in the dark, but from daytime visits I think it should be doable without undue hazard. Depending where you are in Doune, the Doune Ponds would make a pleasant short morning walk

washington dc
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
105 reviews
7. Re: 1 day (6 Oct) in Loch Lomond-Trossachs area

Are any good views of Kilchurn castle possible without buying the tickets

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: 1 day (6 Oct) in Loch Lomond-Trossachs area

There's a short road from the Trossachs to the pier at the East end of Loch Katrine. TBH the view of Loch Katrine get much better if you take to boat trip, or walk/cycle the north side of the Loch. You may not have time. There's another road westwards from Aberfoyle which eventually bends northwards to another pier neat the W end of Loch Katrine. That's quite a long drive but the cafe at the pier is good. That will take more time.

I'm no fan of food in Callander (or Callander in general: it's a tourist trap). If you head on towards Doune, there's Cafe Circa at the Scottish Antiques Centre: it serves nice food and a lot of locals go there. If I'm heading up that way I stop there by preference.

washington dc
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
105 reviews
9. Re: 1 day (6 Oct) in Loch Lomond-Trossachs area

I guess we will have to abandon loch Katrine.

If it's a nice day, we will go to the visitor center at Duke's pass and Brig o'Turk.

Thanks for the recommendation about cafe Circa- will certainly have our dinner there since we hope to see the Scottish antique center that evening and spend o/n in Doune.

Thanks!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,114 posts
530 reviews
10. Re: 1 day (6 Oct) in Loch Lomond-Trossachs area

'Are any good views of Kilchurn castle possible without buying the tickets?'

TJmom - see my post about the great viewpoint of the castle from the Inveraray road (which you will be on.)

Why do you think you'll have to abandon Loch Katrine? It only takes a short walk to see the beautiful view of Ben Venue (using the road on the north shore of the loch.) It needn't take long. I've done the boat trip and also cycled the whole road back to the pier/parking area from Stronachlachar. You will get WONDERFUL views of Ben Venue a very short distance from the parking area - to me, the loveliest , most dramatic part of the loch.

Edited: 26 September 2018, 20:30
Reply to: 1 day (6 Oct) in Loch Lomond-Trossachs area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loch Lomond and The...