We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

liquor store

buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
236 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
liquor store

Six girlfriends are coming to Charleston in april for our yearly "girls trip". Where can we find a liquor store close to the Holiday Inn historic district?

Also, are liquor stores open on Sunday in Charleston? Can beer be purchased at grocery stores? Seems every state is different with their rules.

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: liquor store

My favorite liquor store in Total Wine and More near Sam Rittenberg Rd. Not sure about stores in historic distict.

Beer and wine can be purchased in grocery/convenience stores. Hard liquor in red dot stores only.

I know beer and wine can be purchased on Sunday out on Seabrook/Kiawah.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
380 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: liquor store

Burris Liquor on Upper Meeting Street about 6 blocks from the Holiday Inn. All liquor stores close at 7pm Monday - Saturday and are closed on Sunday. Beer and wine may be purchased in grocery stores - there's a Piggly Wiggly a few blocks further north on Meeting Street.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: liquor store

There is a nice wine shop called "OHara and Flynn's" on East Bay. They have specialty wines and really know their wine. If you already have a favorite wine and want a grocery store, Harris Teeter on East Bay can't be beat.

Total Wine is not worth the drive and their customer service is "big box store" so really not helpful compared with a small shop. I have to say that the only corked wines we've had in the area have been from Total Wine. I would only use them if I happened to be in the area and knew exactly what I wanted.

Liquor in SC is usually purchased at an ABC-type store - I think East Bay Liquors and Wines is around 300 East Bay St., assuming it's still in business. That would be the most convenient for you more than likely.

buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
236 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: liquor store

Thanks for the replies!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
4,010 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: liquor store

There is a very small liquor store on the corner of East Bay and Exchange Street (to the right of the Old Provost Exchange Building) where Broad meets East Bay. Mr. Baker has been there forever and is quite a character. For wine, I would go to O'Hare & Flynn at 160 East Bay (just a couple of blocks away)as CultureHound suggested. They also have a place for a quick bit or some cheese to nibble.

6. Re: liquor store

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 22:20
Get answers to your questions about Charleston