We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ISO a resort/indoor water park for Thanksgiving

Hod Hasharon
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
ISO a resort/indoor water park for Thanksgiving

We are meeting friends around Pitt. Area for Thanksgiving holliday. We are not familiar with the area at all. Given the weather and given that we have children, we thought of a nice resort or hotel with an indoor water park. Do you have any suggestions? (We will be driving from MI, they will be driving from WA, that's ehy we chose Pittsburgh...)

5 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: ISO a resort/indoor water park for Thanksgiving

The nearest indoor water park to Pittsburgh is 2 hours north in Erie. It’s an easy day trip or you can stay overnight.

https://www.splashlagoon.com

There is plenty to do for families around Pittsburgh and it’s not like the weather is unbearable...especially for people from Michigan (and WA? Do you mean VA? Hopping they’re not driving all the way from Washington state to go Splash Lagoon.)

Depending on the age of the kids there’s the Children’s Museum, Carnegie Science Center (the miniature train village should be ready to go that time of year) and Sportsworks, Carnegie Natural History Museum, and the Heinz History Center. These are all geared towards kids and families.

Thanksgiving is typically when holiday displays go up, so check Phipps Conservancy, University of Pittsburgh’s Nationality Rooms in the Cathedral of Learning, and the international Santas at PPG place.

I’m sure others will chime in with more ideas.

Hod Hasharon
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: ISO a resort/indoor water park for Thanksgiving

Thank you so much #1... I meant they are driving from Washington DC. I guess I was thinking of something like the Great wolf lodge, but there is nothing like that around that area.

US
Level Contributor
5,859 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: ISO a resort/indoor water park for Thanksgiving

Correct- no indoor water parks like Great Wolf. Op gave lots of great alternatives though. There are plenty of fun options in town probably why there’s no indoor water park. :)

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: ISO a resort/indoor water park for Thanksgiving

The indoor water park in Erie is larger, but it is not the only water park.

http://www.conleyresort.com/pirates-cove/

Conley Resort is about an hour north of the city in Butler. It's small, but it's closer.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
4 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: ISO a resort/indoor water park for Thanksgiving

I agree with the 1st reply. Pittsburgh is very family oriented, and still decent weather at Thanksgiving.

Couple of ideas to add - love The Strip District - old warehouse area near the river - Penn and Smallman Streets - you can sample any sort of food imaginable! Kids love the giant fish tanks at Wholey’s Market!

The Incline - original trolley restored that used to take the steelworkers from their homes on the hillsides down to the steel mills along the rivers. Steelmills are gone, but everyone loves to ride the Incline.

Reply to: ISO a resort/indoor water park for Thanksgiving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pittsburgh