We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

25 year old headed to Pittsburgh Oct 19th for guys weekend

Buffalo, New York
2 posts
25 year old headed to Pittsburgh Oct 19th for guys weekend

Looking for places to party and eat and also anything cool to do. We plan on arriving late-ish Friday around 8 PM and hitting the south side that night. Saturday going to grab dinner at Cure then go to Hemingway's Cafe then wherever else after. Gonna hit Primonti Bros for lunch before leaving Sunday. Few things I want to know:

-best place to see full view of Pittsburgh (heard monument park)

-best dance/nightclub-want a typical nightclub feel heard Tequila Saloon isn't bad because of the different rooms.

-any good breweries

-any other must do things in pittsburgh for a first time goer (not interested in museums, zoos, or stuff like that)

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 09 October 2018, 18:07
7 replies to this topic
US
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: 25 year old headed to Pittsburgh Oct 19th for guys weekend

Your plan of starting at Cure then going to Hemingway's and on doesn't make much sense. Just do Hemingways another time and stay down in Lawrenceville for the night. There are plenty of bars and plenty of people your age there.

-best place to see full view of Pittsburgh (heard monument park)

~Monument Park? I don't know that one. Best is going up to Mt. Washington either by incline or Uber/ Lyft/ car. Head to one of the incline overlooks.

-best dance/nightclub-want a typical nightclub feel heard Tequila Saloon isn't bad because of the different rooms.

~no clue. Sorry. You have the name wrong, I assume, as there isn't one called that but there is a Tequila Cowboy on the North Shore. I'm sure it'd be fine. You can bar hop in that area too.

-any good breweries

~tons. You might even consider https://www.citybrewtours.com/pittsburgh/ You'll get to visti plenty and you won' have any need for a designated driver- you'll all get around safely. East End Brewing is the one I would pick if you just wanted to try one. Arsenal Cider is awesome too- great patio in Lawrenceville. It's not the sweet stuff so beer drinkers might like it.

-any other must do things in pittsburgh for a first time goer (not interested in museums, zoos, or stuff like that)

~while a museum, you might still like the Warhol.

All the typical stuff you can find in most cities are around if you just want generic fun like ax throwing, indoor go karts, paintball, ropes courses, escape rooms...

Lots of great parks, like Frick and Schenley, if you want some exercise.

This downtownpittsburgh.com/events/… plus City Paper will list out a lot of the area's events that weekend.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: 25 year old headed to Pittsburgh Oct 19th for guys weekend

I have no idea where Hemingways is, but agree if you are dining at Cure then you should have your nightlife in Lawrenceville that same evening. Hope you have a reservation already or else you'll be eating super early or late. Lots of great bars and breweries in Lawrenceville including Full Pint and Allegeny Wine Mixer, both of which are next door to Cure. Other breweries include Roundabout, Hop Farm, Eleventh Hour, Cinderland and the aforementioned Arsenal. Even more if you're interested in crossing the bridge to Millvale, where you will also find Mr. Smalls where you might find a concert of interest. For drinks in Lawrenceville there's the Grapperia and most of the restaurants have a good bar scene too.

The nightlife on the Southside and Northside near the stadiums sounds like what you are interested in for clubbing.

Buffalo, New York
2 posts
3. Re: 25 year old headed to Pittsburgh Oct 19th for guys weekend

Thanks for the replies! Since we won't be arriving until around 8 PM we won't be doing much Friday night besides checking in (staying at the Mariott on the North Shore) then prob grab a bite at the hotel and head out. My plan is to head to Oakland Friday night bars like Gene's Place and Heimhgway's Cafe are walkable. Then plan on ubering to the Strip District clubs on Smallman Street (I assume this is by the North Side) Saturday not doing anything until around 3 PM where we'll probably end up going to Mt. Washington to get a good view then head to dinner. Probably going to avoid Lawrenceville even though I've heard good things so deciding between a few restaurants. Gaucho Parrilla Argentina, The Commoner, Meat & Potatoes. After dinner our plan will be to go to the South Side and spend the entire night out there. Sunday we will wake up check out then plan on going to S & D Polish Deli for perogies then Primanti's for a sandwich before leaving town. From what I understand the neighborhoods (Southside, North shore, Strip District, Lawrenceville) etc are all within a couple miles of each other. Not walkable but close enough where it's not crazy like a Philly or Denver.

US
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: 25 year old headed to Pittsburgh Oct 19th for guys weekend

I think you should plot your ideas out on a map and make a more efficient plan. ;)

You did say Cure, which is in Lawrenceville.

Make reservations ASAP. The availability of those might dictate your plans as some of those book up. Gaucho doesn’t take reservations either.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: 25 year old headed to Pittsburgh Oct 19th for guys weekend

You say you’re not doing much on Friday, but then plan on the North Shore, Oakland and then the Strip....

Agree you need to look at a map as you’re zooming all over the city. There are bars/clubs for people your age in Oakland, the North Shore, Southdide, and the Strip. While Pittsburgh is not as big as Philly there is still considerable distance between these areas and also plenty of places in each area to keep you occupied. Also note that the crowds in Oakland especially, and to a lesser degree the Southside, will lean heavily towards college aged due to their proximity to universities.

Lawrenceville was recommended because you mentioned Cure and also breweries. Not sure why you want to avoid it unless you’re focusing on college aged crowds as it is the place for young professionals.

Meat & Potatoes is very hard to get in to so if you don’t have a reservation you’ll likely be eating at 5 pm or not at all. The Commoner is just OK. Nice vibe but the food is not highly rated. And Gaucho, while awesome, is really a counter (with a very long line) serving sandwiches and sides. Also BYOB.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: 25 year old headed to Pittsburgh Oct 19th for guys weekend

To late to edit...there are also bars for people your age in Lawrenceville and downtown....These all lean to young professionals. I noted the areas that seemed of most interest to you.

Sarver, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
70 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: 25 year old headed to Pittsburgh Oct 19th for guys weekend

South side is what you’re looking for in your age range for partying & girls. Anywhere along East Carson Street is your move there. Plenty of bars.

Can’t help ya with dance clubs, as I’m 45 and way past those days but I hear Tequila Cowboys a lot. I’d check their reviews & social media etc...

Breweries, now you have my expertise ha ha. They’re are tons within 10min of the city. Trying to pretend I’m 25 again, I’d try Southern Tier, Church Brew Works or Grist House or any near Lawrenceville section of PGH as there are bars in that area as well if you don’t like their vibe.

S&D Polish deli is a great choice. Good hangover grub. Probably won’t have room for Primanti’s after that but it’s a cool walk thru the Strip District to get there, so...

(Warning: while in the Southside, do not urinate in any dark alleys or side streets while bar hopping. The locals will put up with noise but not urinating. Police enforce that.)

Reply to: 25 year old headed to Pittsburgh Oct 19th for guys weekend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pittsburgh