We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary suggestions

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
373 reviews
itinerary suggestions

We are coming to Oregon for the first time flying into Portland and staying in the Welches area near Mt. Hood.

On our wish list is Mulnomah Falls and the Columbia River Gorge, a day in Portland, Mt. Hood, Crater Lake, Mount St. Helens, and if time some of the seashore. We will have a car but haven't figured out the logistics yet and would love some direction. Coming Nov. 2 Would love it if we could see autumn foliage but realistically know the leaves will probably be on the ground. All suggestions and help welcome.

4 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: itinerary suggestions

Expect winter conditions in the high country. Crater Lake will be in full winter mode in - expect snow covered roads-many rental companies do not allow chains on their cars so check for that. Mt St Helens and road up to Johnstone ridge will be closed. Keep a close tabs on weather, if it doesnt cooperate(i.e cloudy/rainy) its not worth the trip/time anyways. In November, youll have better conditions exploring the coast, gorge and lowlands than the mountains, unless you are prepared for winter.

Edited: 24 September 2018, 03:15
Phoenix
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
373 reviews
2. Re: itinerary suggestions

chinookgrrl, thank you - some disappointing news but we'll just change our wish list. I don't want to drive in snow. I am renting a SUV. We'll be checking the weather daily just before our trip and during it too.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,343 posts
1 review
3. Re: itinerary suggestions

Welcome

Just because you have an SUV you may not know how to use it in some conditions.

Also sometimes they can give you a false since of security.

Dont rely on gps/google maps 100%. Its your life. Both are only as good as the last update.

Good luck

Phoenix
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
373 reviews
4. Re: itinerary suggestions

I always travel with regular fold up maps as a backup. I live in Arizona where GPS cannot be relied on. I own a

MDX so I am very use to a suv in all weather but snow. If it does, I’ll let him drive! We actually travel a lot just looking for ideas from locals.

Reply to: itinerary suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Portland